Zach's 1985 4WD Tercel Wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Re: Zach's 1985 4WD Tercel Wagon

Post by lannvouivre »

Oh lord, Petros. It's been one hell of a ride, haha. They had the connectors still, they just spliced the new fan on like someone belonging in a mental institution. Twist caps belong only in a weather-free environment, imo, preferably as a temporary fix that won't encounter things like rain or the ravages of time.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Weather free environment? You mean West Texas gets weather now?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

just wind and enough rain occasionally to make everything filthy, really. I guess that's the only weather we ever get, then you can choose between "really hot" and "kinda cold I guess."
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Sad but true!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I drove through west Texas twice during or right after a bad ice storm. lots of big trucks overturned, one even went off where I-10 went over a RR crossing. caught fire and burned to slag. I remember entering Amarillo one time with the temperature sign on the bank showed 17 degrees! I have also seen tropical rainstorms that dropped over an inch of rain in an hour, flooding all of those dry washes in minutes.

yes, Texas has weather, and like the rest of Texas, it has a lot MORE of it than many states.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I was born in Midland texas and lived there for 15 years, you completely missed the joke Peter :lol:
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

West TX has very bipolar weather. If snow on easter or halloween but not during christmas appeals to you, that's what it's like here. It was a good 15 years of my life before I saw snow during christmas.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

New distributor cap and rotor went on. Initially had the distributor set to TDC on what turned out to be the exhaust stroke. Fixed that quickly. If I could see the cam gear, I probably wouldn't have forgotten that the crank has the compression stroke every other cycle. Oops.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

most people in Seattle are surprised to learn that Houston TX gets a lot more rain fall than Seattle, that has the reputation for being wet and rainy.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

Nicely done engine love the red valve cover reminds me of mine.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Thanks, Timothy.

Petros, I contest the mere possibility that anywhere in TX gets rain and not a tiny sprinkle of water followed by copious amounts of dust and wind. I just can't accept this idea. What is rain, even? THIS IS SOME KIND OF CONSPIRACY! :P

In other news, I got the all-trac springs compressed onto the shorter sedan shocks with Odessa College's superior wall-mounted compressor. I need something like that. So now the plan is to put the white Tercel back on jack stands and swap the suspension out and maybe install the electric fuel pump under it, depending on how I'll have to plumb the fuel lines.

I also need to put the dash back in. We painted the dash matte black (it's not just a phase, Mom; black has always been my favorite color!) since the various components of it are different colors--the speaker trim is army green or something, the dash is a few differently-faded shades of blue, etc. Black is easy to match to and all the rage in modern cars nowadays. Gotta stay hip and stylish.

The bad news is, someone put the dash out in the garage upside-down so the paint may have gotten scuffed.

While I'm writing this, my pet corn snake is slithering around in his tank very loudly. It's really distracting.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

All-trac assemblies are on in front. Tomorrow I will be doing the rear shocks and springs. If I have time, I'll also throw in the fuel pump.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Pathfinder springs and t-bird shocks are on. I still need to tighten most of the fasteners and bore out one of the shock lower bushing washers...one was missing.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Went to replace rear brake lines and the fittings are frozen to the steel lines. Going to mix some BG green stuff and some ATF and put that on them, see if that helps. I also need to identify the fuel hose from the tank that's the pickup hose, and install the electric fuel pump. The Holley FPR diaphragm replacement also got here the other day.

I also need to replace my own car's caliper sliding pins and bushings in the hopes they stop having issues with the pins seizing up.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

lannvouivre wrote:Went to replace rear brake lines and the fittings are frozen to the steel lines. Going to mix some BG green stuff and some ATF and put that on them, see if that helps.
i've run into this on many of the rust buckets i've worked on. my solution is this: liberally spray with PB blaster or whatever penetrant you prefer and let sit for a few minutes; cinch up some vise grips really tight and put them on the brake line nut, or put a flare nut wrench on the nut and then cinch the vise grips onto the business end of wrench to prevent its arms from spreading and slipping on the nut (i honestly prefer to just use the vise grips, even though it sounds dumb to put vise grips on a nut); with quick, light to moderate force, work the vise grips or wrench back and forth. i've found this works well to break the corrosion between the nut and whatever it's in and the nut and the rusty steel line. i hate when the line twists itself into a knot and then i also have to replace it.