Zach's 1985 4WD Tercel Wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: Zach's 1985 4WD Tercel Wagon

Post by jimcrazy »

i like to cut the brake off flush with the fitting and use a 6 point socket on them, if it twists off then replace the cly
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

I have a flare nut wrench that I'm using. dlb, I'll give that a try.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

I got the fuel pump bolted on in front of the spare under the chassis, but couldn't plumb it in because I didn't have the fittings I needed. Couldn't do the brake lines as my jack stands are tied up with Vibe brake diagnostics on my car. Can't wait to bolt on my snazzy mechanical fuel pump port block-off plate.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

With pathfinder springs and t-bird shocks in back, all-trac springs and strut housings up front (but sedan shocks, which are over an inch less shock rod length).

Tried to fix camber today enough that death might not seem so near when the car is driven. Got it more or less straight up and down. Test drove it and when I got home, it was back to positive camber deathmobile again (here is a diagram: \----/)

I think I have shown the issue before, but so you can share my pain once more:

Redid it, tightened the camber bolts "super freaking tight," and then lifted the front and pried on the two suspension components also involved (lower control arm bushing, ball joint). I think the part of the all-trac strut that the steering knuckle fits into is too wide for the Tercel knuckles. Could this problem be shimmed with some washers between the knuckle and the inside of the brackets?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that might work, but might be better to make a metal shim with two holes in the right place. It will fill the whole space, and have more area to compress against the steering knuckle. You can even make two shims, one for each side of the steering knuckle.

Also, using first gen MR2 front upper strut mounts should bring it down about 12mm, so it is not as high.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

I'll try washers first to make sure the thickness is good. I admit I don't want to make shims where I need to drill two holes without messing up ;) I'll probably shape some when I make a bracket for my amp.

Speaking of which, I got my car's front brake lines replaced and no longer have the left front wheel locking up before all the others. Obviously, this doesn't make the badly misshapen rotor magically become normal again, but I have new parts on the way. Zach helped me bleed the brakes and was much more helpful than Mom ("my leg is tired.")

Forgot to mention that I got the dash reinstalled. The buzzer is dangling on the right side. IDK where to put it, and I really want to flatten it with a hammer because the noise it makes causes me to feel anger.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if you do the brake up grade I outline over in the repair guides section, warped rotors will be a thing of the past. you go from the factory 11mm unvented solid front rotors to 25mm thick vented rotors. Personally I see no reason to waste money buying replacement brake parts that are inadequate even when new, the up grade parts do not cost much more, and you will not have to replace them again.

You can cut the buzzer off and toss it, I find it a very annoying sounds, and I do not need my car to buzz me when I am not wearing a seat belt. It gets mounted on the right end of the black steel angle that the glove box hinges get screwed to.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

My car, not the Tercel. My car had a failing front left brake line. The Tercel will be getting the upgrade soon, though, because it needed new brakes even before the rotors rusted "to death".

Wish I could steal the "key still in ignition" warning beeper from a newer BMW. Those things are very polite, although there's pretty much nothing else I like about BMWs aside from the automatic transmission controls. In fact, I mostly hate modern BMWs. That's a story for another day.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Fixed the camber issues up front with some "shims" (washers) that make the all-trac struts fit the narrower Tercel steering knuckle brackets. The Tercel can now sit on the curb!

It's all ready to go get an alignment!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Look pretty good for lipstick on a pig.

New battery, tray, and tie-down. AGM battery so I don't have do deal with acid leaks BS ever again.

Please ignore the wiring, I'm still working on a setup for my fuel pump so that I can get it to a dealer and align the sucker.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Looking good! Just noticed we have an identical stain under the fuel door. Mine is permanent though because u clear coated over it. Hahah
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

The paint is actually gone where it looks stained!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Was bashing my face into the Tercel figuring out why the fuel pump relay won't work.

Turns out it's only going to be pulling 15A max, not 30A. The relay coil was too big of a load and still wasn't closing the arm.

My previous relay, an IDEC RH1B-U, was completely adequate, but lacks weather resistance. However, I will be able to move the Tercel now.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

I figured out the fuel pump relay. I hadn't realized that it could be run in parallel, as my electrical courses didn't involve making circuits (just reading diagrams and following them). I also was a little confused about whether the voltage would choose one branch over the other for some reason. I don't know why this was a problem for me to understand at all, honestly, but I got it working correctly after asking my father if a circuit design I came up with would work.

Incidentally, this car is for sale. I don't think the wheels, steering wheel, electric fuel pump, or weber carburetor will be staying with it, though.
white_raven
My tercel:: 1987 toyota tercel 4wd

Post by white_raven »

Why are you getting rid of it??;