My new 85 Tercel SR5

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
rabalc
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

My new 85 Tercel SR5

Post by rabalc »

Hey all,

Just thought I would post a few pics of my dirty car, this weekends project is to give it a real good cleaning.
The underside is just as nice as the topside, rear axle is still black paint, can still read paint stick marks from the factory. the only parts
that show any rust are the springs, sway bars, shocks and struts. In reading maintnece papers I see struts were done in 96 at about 70000 miles.
Any one notice the missing tail light bulb door on ds... will be needing to find one if anyone should have a spare. I have been reading
about the struts, will be first project as they rattle pretty bad, think CC may be bad smells of rotten egg/sulfur smell, seems to run good though.
Windows roll up and down pretty hard, that will also be on the short list of things to do. I ended up getting the car for 2800, found a hundred dollars in cash under PS floor mat :D . Courious to hear what you guys think of my find

Rich

Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Re: My new 85 Tercel SR5

Post by Notmikeb »

The body looks to be in remarkable shape! Great find!

Also, I like the painted to match wheels. I would've left the center caps chrome but it's a little late now. Maybe paint the center caps black (I've thought about doing he same to mine as the factory silver is starting to look a little crummy)
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Very nice find! well worth the price, looks like no body work to speak of (I really do not care for doing body work or paint, no patients for it). It looks like my daily driver, in color. But mine has a lot of 'road rash' minor scraps and dings.

Spray silicon lubricant on all the window tracks and down inside the door, all that extra stress can wear out or damage the crank mechanism. if you want to do a very thorough job of it take the door panel off and clean all the moving parts with solvent and than put lithium or graphite lube on it, bend any bent parts back into place, and adjust it for wear, it should tighten nicely. There are a few simple adjustments on the parts that can put it back into correct alignment. Most important thing to do right now is get some lube on the tracks and window guides to take the stress off the mechanism.

All the other items are easy and straight forward routine maintance repairs.

Looks like it has California emissions package, keep that in mind when getting service info out of FSM.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
rabalc

Post by rabalc »

Thanks for the tips, when removing the door panels is there any big risk of breaking clips or mounts? I have door pannel tools, but have never taken one of these appart. The interior is in mint condition except the door handles have faded to grey, and sunvisors have seen better days. I don't want to break anything.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Sometimes the clips pop off the door but they can usually be put back on. If you are careful most of the clips come out no problem.

Great looking car! Congrats.
melzy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: tercel 4wd 1983

Post by melzy »

Dude awesome quality ride! Great condition... I just baught an overpriced rust bucket u got a steal! I like the colour rims as they are :) nice colour scheme.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Notmikeb wrote:The body looks to be in remarkable shape! Great find!

Also, I like the painted to match wheels. I would've left the center caps chrome but it's a little late now. Maybe paint the center caps black (I've thought about doing he same to mine as the factory silver is starting to look a little crummy)

Those wheels were a stock option on the SR5 T4. For 83-86 4WD you had the option of white steels, silver steels, or white saw blade alloys, silver saw blade alloys.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

irowiki wrote:Those wheels were a stock option on the SR5 T4. For 83-86 4WD you had the option of white steels, silver steels, or white saw blade alloys, silver saw blade alloys.
not all for all years for SR5: '83-86(?) either white steel or "pizza cutter" alloys, ''87-88 silver steel or saw blade alloy. There may have been some overlap, but I do not think the silver and white steel wheels were ever optional with each other but were from different years.

The hubcaps for the steel wheels all look similar, but have different means to mount on the back (which are not interchangeable). The hub cap never looks good in all black, but a combo of black and something that stands out could look good.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lucafusi
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by lucafusi »

Gorgeous vehicle, man. Congratulations on the purchase!
1984 Tercel 4x4 SR5
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

might be another one of those Canadian things but I got a drawer full of black hup caps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rabalc

Post by rabalc »

It looks like mine may have been black before they where painted..can see a few spots where chips have happened. Have my eye one some 14" seven spoke prius c wheels with near new tires