Just baught a 1983 4wd wagon (paint tips anyone? :)

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
melzy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: tercel 4wd 1983

Re: Just baught a 1983 4wd wagon (paint tips anyone? :)

Post by melzy »

Bailey this is the light number does it match yours? :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Aw snap. I'll have to check the number when I get home from work today. Hopefully they match. Ten bucks plus shipping sound good if they match?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Yes it sounds great have been looking for this light with not much luck. I hope shipping isn't crazy. Thank you so much by the way.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I wonder if you can get surface shipping still. some companies and postal services still do this. i.e. Italy and Japan to Australia. usually about half the price
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

If you know someone traveling from USA to UK you could have them take it as luggage. It does not weigh too much and will not be all grimy or smell like fuel, so it should not be a problem to pack it as luggage.

I was traveling to visit my parents and the airline allowed me to bring two 50 lb pieces of luggage, plus my carry on, at no extra charge. I brought almost 100 lbs worth of car parts to a forum member who was not too far from my parent's house, saved almost $100 worth of shipping.

overseas travel is quite different of course, but the tail light assembly only weights about 2 lbs. and would not be too much trouble to pack in a suit case.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

melzy, it might be worth your time to post a wanted ad on craigslist or similar sites in your area to see if anyone has parts close to you. i have done the same and had some good results with all kinds of obscure things. you have nothing to lose by trying, and might save a lot on shipping.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

As far as I can tell there has only been one type of tail light. should be exact fit
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Thanks guys. Really at a lost end with this. Had no idea it would be that hard to find parts here. But ill stay positive! Ill ask some of my air stuardess friends too about possible trips to the US thats a good idea.

My dad said something about trying other cars that will stock parts locally. He said that the Toyota Hiace had many of the same mechanical and electrical parts. I think they are relatively common here.

In the meantime Im taking her camping this weekend for a 2 hour journey I hope we make it haha. Have topped up oils :)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Enjoy the weekend Melzy. I reckon replace those fluids rather than just top up at some stage. But also UK toyota clubs would know not only who has a stash of parts but also who might have a few of these cars off the road that you could take some parts from. There would be quite a few on farms and around I'd reckon.
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Thanks Mattel you too! Just out of interest are the parts for the 4wd wagon the same as other tercel? Or other toyotas prehaps? Just extending the search :)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

The engine is a 3ac and can be replaced with a 4ac from similar vintage corolla. Most of the car except drivetrain and rear bodywork/rear seats is the same as the similar year 2wd Tercel hatchback. The rear dif/brakes/axels are same as ke70 or even ae86 corollas. The gearbox is exclusive to this model.
Good to keep an eye on ebay for spares like this clutch cable that the seller reckons will fit our cars and stash them for when you need them. This actually looks like a good buy. I paid $30 in an emergency for one and had to wait a couple of days for it to arrive! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clutch-Cable- ... 4868e117a8
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

I never thought of that! Or stash for if other people on here need them. There's even cheaper clutch cables on there. One at 2.99 bargain! :) thanks again il look into these other car spares also.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Sorry I have been really busy with work, both there and at home. Haha. The numbers do match up as I am looking at them right now. If you could pm me your address and I'll have it quoted by Monday morning.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Thanks so much Bailey! Awfully kind! Hope not working to hard! Will pm now. What's wagon mafia out of curiosity?
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Bailey I can't private message you :/