New member. I saved one from the crusher

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
robf
My tercel:: 87 sr5

New member. I saved one from the crusher

Post by robf »

Hi all,

I'm Rob. I just purchased an 87 sr5 (my first) from a salvage auction. I have know about the tercel wagon 4x4's for a long time. Kinda wanted one but never never got the itch that bad. Saw this one coming up for auction. Thought if it goes cheap, I will buy it. And I did.

This one seems nice so far. Runs, drives fine. Needs a radiator (among other things). No a/c but with ps. Interior is above average for a 30 yr old car. Only rust is on the drivers rocker at the wheel well. Pretty sure it came from Montana but some how ended up in Cincinnati.

The person who owned it before me obviously liked the car, they were just not mechanically inclined. I can kinda tell from papers in the glove box. It has new exhaust, oil changes, lt ball joint and sway link. It was repainted at some point (they removed the factory side moldings for aftermarket ones)

Here is a link to the auction
http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/19745235

Here is a link to the car for sale fall 2013 ( I am like 99.9999999% sure it is the same car)
http://www.dailyturismo.com/2013/11/5k- ... wagon.html

I took the bra off and the hubcaps. Factory white wheels with center caps. spare matches as well (no center). I have pics I just haven't put them on my computer

I will be fixing it. It is my summer toy.

I look forward to talking to you all

Rob
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: New member. I saved one from the crusher

Post by dlb »

man, sucks about the damage to the front right corner. it looks really clean in that 'before' link. do you know if the frame is still straight?

good work on fixing it up. you are among like-minded people here. welcome to the forum.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Welcome nice save looks like a good t4 that was taken care of.
I should have all the parts to repair that corner where are you located?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Those custom rubstrips are nice, still available somewhere I wonder?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
robf
My tercel:: 87 sr5

Post by robf »

irowiki : I have seen these mouldings at the local aftermarket body panel and paint shop. You may look locally for them. I found them online here http://www.autoamenity.com/Body-Molding ... olding.htm Look 1/3 of the way down for Black w/ Chrome Stripe 3-7/8 inch Body Side Molding Chevy-GMC Style. You can prob get the cheaper but it is a start. If you really want them. I plan on removing them. You can have them. I prefer the factory mouldings. May be a month or so.

Gottolovem : Thanks for the offer. The car is in excellent shape. The only body rust is the left rear rocker where it meets the quarter. I will repair that. If you will ship we need to talk. If you cant ship, I understand. Not a big deal.

dlb : Thank you. It is a fairly easy fix. It is in great shape not bent. The core support and fender took the brunt of it. just above the bumper. If it was a newer car it would not have totaled.

Here are some pics after I cleaned it up a bit. The grill is in one piece broken in 3 places. I am going to pull it out. May not be perfect but it will do. I am going to need a fender, radiator, rh head lamp, corner lamp and bracket. Also lt headlamp (it is cracked). The hood can be fixed. It runs great but i only drove it for a sec because of the radiator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

20150506_163650.jpg
I'll ship you stuff get yourself a good list
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

One of my wagons (an 87) which sat for 10 years, has all the stock rub strips peeling off and sitting for ages in that same position, so they're probably ruined. Might be expensive to ship them though?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k