'86 FWD path to daily driver

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: '86 FWD path to daily driver

Post by irowiki »

You might just take the engine out for this job.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

was this Blue Terrel 4WD original from Bellingham ,WA
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the clutch and the timing belt are on opposite end of the engine, there is not really any benefit to do them together. One you do from under the car, the other from under the hood at the front of the engine. if both are necessary than do them, but you can also do them separately as your time allows without any extra work. if your clutch completely fails you will be stuck, you should do that first. The timing belt is still working or it would not be running, you can likely put that off a bit. I have seen people drive timing belts with teeth and other chucks of rubber missing, and half of the internal cords exposed, and it was still running! At worst, you will not harm the engine if it breaks on this engine, but you will be stuck. You can inspect the timing belt, if not all cracked and questionable looking, there is no rush to replace it.

BTW, for most cars they recommend a new water pump with the timing belt replacement. I have not found this necessary on the Tercel, if you buy a new (not rebuilt) water pump it lasts much longer than the timing belt (about 2 to one or longer). the water pump is easy to access on this car and can be done separately. On many modern cars the water pump replacement is a big PIA, so doing with the timing belt saves a lot of labor/money. I can change the water pump in the Tercel in about 30 min, with hand tools. Not a big deal, and I want to get as many miles out of my water pumps as possible, so I wait until they develop a leak, than replace it.

There is a good thread in the repair guides section for replacing the clutch, it was for the 4wd trans, but should be similar (less work in fact) for the FWD trans.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Petros wrote:BTW, for most cars they recommend a new water pump with the timing belt replacement.

Only because on everything made since 1990 the water pump is powered by the timing belt!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
JackWagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon FWD

Post by JackWagon »

Happy 30th Birthday!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Well technically closer to 31 years ;)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

100,000 miles in nearly 31 years. Your car is still a teenager in mileage. How come your fuel gauge needle goes all the way up? Mine doesn't when the tank is completely full. I've cleaned the sender with carb cleaner which didn't make any difference, but I live with it. Afterall it's a 32 year old car.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama