'86 FWD path to daily driver

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
JackWagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon FWD

Re: '86 FWD path to daily driver

Post by JackWagon »

I have a weber on my MG Midget and it was a necessary replacement after the Stromberg OE melted in a fire. Anyway, speaking of my MG, I forgot I bought chrome wheel rings ages ago from Moss Motors. They fit my wagon but they were a bear to put on and now are there to stay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

So do you have an auto or a manual?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
JackWagon
Advanced Member

Post by JackWagon »

I have a manual, 5 sp and from a distance it's not so bad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

same year as my fwd, 50 mph or 50 feet away mine looks good to
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

pic
JackWagon
Advanced Member

Post by JackWagon »

Beauty! Removing the black rubber door trim is an idea I might just have to copy. I am going to take a guess that I'm getting about 27 mpg. It's all city driving and only 5-10 miles a trip so it will likely improve

Next up for me is to start shopping for maintenance parts to replace the timing belt. I want replace the radiator hoses, all the hoses really, belts etc. All the other stuff that should be replaced at the same time since I will have everything torn apart.

Rock Auto here comes $
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

partywagon.PNG
Our 87 FWD
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
JackWagon
Advanced Member

Post by JackWagon »

Trying to do something about the peeling clearcoat. No turning back now
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

scrape off the clear coat that is white (it is already detached), fine sand the edges and put several layers of clear coat on it. It will not be perfect, but it will hide most of the old peeling clear coat and improve the looks considerably.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
JackWagon
Advanced Member

Post by JackWagon »

I've got some time off so the starter contacts and plunger were replaced. It seems as though the "click" issue was getting more frequent and it was getting annoying. The interior of the starter was pretty dusty and dirty, more than I thought so it took quite a bit of effort to get it all cleaned up. I did a search on Youtube for Denso Starter Rebuild and found several clips that demonstrated the procedure. I bought my replacement contacts and plunger from R E Auto Electric in Tacoma, WA mainly because I wasn't entirely sure which kit to purchase, and they are a local company so didn't mind paying a bit extra.

I'd reinstalled after cleaning but I didn't spend much effort on lubricating - in case the contacts were not the issue. I'd be interested if you think the steps in this post are worth doing. The author used a turkey injector needle - clever.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... tor-for-a/
terastoria
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by terastoria »

this is a great thread man, i love seeing all the projects coming back to life. I'm getting an 84 sr5 tomorrow (12/23/2015) and will need to do a deep clean as you have. did the roof line trim cause a leak into the cabin? or could it possibly cause a leak inside if plugged up?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

it is not the trim, it is caused by the older roof racks that clamp on the rain gutter. the clamp force, if over tightened, can distort the seam where the body panels come together at the rain gutter and allow a leak. I could not find the occasional drip source from mine, it would drip out round the plastic wind shield inner trim on to my knee. but only when the car was parked at a certain angle and it rained hard. Forum member Xirdneh pointed it out to me, I had already noticed the slight crimp marks in my rain gutters from a previous owner installing a roof rack. New cars btw do not have rain gutters and used completely different type of roof racks.
JackWagon
Advanced Member

Post by JackWagon »

I don't have a roof leak, but I did have rust in the gutter. Mine was jam packed with pine needles & pollen so I removed the chrome trim. It still collects dirt and traps water, but running a toothbrush down the gutter keeps it clear
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

A previous owner may have caused a leak by installing a roof rack, or it could be possible the rust has compromised the seam. I think the seam in the rain gutters is susceptible to leaking, it is spot welded and the joint is sealed with body putty, in the factory. as it ages it gets brittle and will leak if disrupted. You need to find the leak in that seam and put new sealant on it.
JackWagon
Advanced Member

Post by JackWagon »

So its been a few weeks now since my starter was reinstalled. The click sound is gone and its started up each time on the first try. Now I'm planning my first significant projec. First up, its over due for a timing belt and now I'm noticing my clutch is slipping. I think both of these should be tackled at the same time. I have 97k miles on a FWD manual trans

Timing Belt:
https://youtu.be/fS3bAwwR43w
I've been watching Robert Walker's YouTube video; my engine had just as much oil everywhere but no more has appeared after I steam cleaned it last spring. So at some point I think there was a seal leak but it must've been repaired. I plan to order the seals just in case. I haven't bought the timing belt kit yet from RockAuto, but I found a good deal on Gates water pump on Amazon. I'm going to take out the radiator for access room and replace the hoses.

Clutch Slip:
Here are two threads that describe pretty much what I'm experiencing: engine rev and loss of power uphill
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9670&p=70907
http://www.yotatech.com/f116/engine-rev ... ch-109107/

Borrowing Petros' post from the "strange acceleration thread" - I'm on the hunt for what tools/parts I need to take advantage of having everything torn apart: ..."You will need pressure plate assembly, clutch disk, through out bearing and pilot bearing, (these come in most clutch kits, alone with spline shaft grease and a pilot tool), and gear oil...Plus the rear main seal if you replace it….Do not attempt to install the clutch without a pilot tool ... You might also want to rent a bearing puller to replace the pilot bearing from the back of the crank…" Are there other threads that I should be reading?