intro and my new wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
firealj
My tercel:: 1986

intro and my new wagon

Post by firealj »

Hi,

First I'd like to introduce myself and I would like to say that I am the new wagon owner of a 1985 Toyota Tercel four-wheel-drive wagon. I would also like to let you know that my dad bought his first one in 1986 and we have it still to this day which I will be using for parts for mine due to extensive amounts of rust. the story on mine is I have been keeping a lookout for a nice wagon. and one day on Craigslist in Santa Cruz I see an ad for my 1985 blue four wheel drive wagon. because the guy blew a head gasket he was the second owner of it and didn't want to dump any more money into it. so with $500 in hand I drove up saw it and bought it on the spot. so using my father's old car as a donor I will be putting a newish motor in it with only about 50,000 miles. the great thing about the one I found was that he barely has any rust on it. it also has a sunroof on it which I never knew that they had. I just cleaned it out today very well had a bunch of dog hair in it the guy didn't keep the inside very clean but after a couple hours of detailing it looks really nice. anyways if anyone has has one and lives in the Central Coast area near the city of atascadero.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: intro and my new wagon

Post by dlb »

welcome to the forum, firealj. good work on saving that one.

*edit* just realized you've been on the forum for a while. well, congrats on finally finding one!
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Welcome

Looks like you got a great car there keep us posted :oldgeek:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the fourm!

looks like a good save, good looking car. Too many times people will call a wrecking yard to pick up an otherwise nice clean Tercel4wd just because it needs a clutch or head gasket, and some Neanderthal grease monkey does not want to work on it and tells them it is not worth fixing.

BTW, there are several other forum members looking for engines to rebuild if you are not keeping the old one.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tazoutaw
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel SR5 4X4

Post by tazoutaw »

Nice find, post photos of Dad's wagon..
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

Thats the one I posted from the south bay.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11202
Good deal firealj, whats the milage on it?
What were you saying about if anyone lives near the central coast of california?
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

I thought 4WD Tercels were supposed to be towed with a front and rear dolly? Anyway, I totally love that you rescued this one! :) Where in Cali are you? :)
K-Business
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

terceldude wrote:I thought 4WD Tercels were supposed to be towed with a front and rear dolly? Anyway, I totally love that you rescued this one! :) Where in Cali are you? :)
You just need to remove the driveline to make it ok to tow with the front on the dolley.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

You can flat tow a manual tercel any distance
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

lannvouivre wrote:
terceldude wrote:I thought 4WD Tercels were supposed to be towed with a front and rear dolly? Anyway, I totally love that you rescued this one! :) Where in Cali are you? :)
You just need to remove the driveline to make it ok to tow with the front on the dolley.
Gotcha! :)
K-Business
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

terceldude wrote:
lannvouivre wrote:
Gotcha! :)
Their is no need to remove the drive line unless it's an automatic transmission car!!
I could go into a long explanation as to how the front and rear differentials have been spinning in an oil bath since the day the car rolled off the assembly line but I will not. Hundreds if not thousands of people have flat towed or used a dolly with their manual transmission Tercel's without ill effects.

Your more likely to damage tour transmission by removing the drive line sitting the nose of the car on a dolly and allowing the oil in the rear tail shaft"transfer case" to drain out.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

Gottolovem wrote: Their is no need to remove the drive line unless it's an automatic transmission cat!!
Yeah I keep forgetting a lot of Tercels are manual, I'm used to automatics being the general rule rather than the exception. I know the differentials are fine with rolling, and I keep forgetting that manuals don't even need coolers or special attention. Pretty much all I ever work with are autos.

I have taken apart and reassembled both types of transmissions. Autos are hard to reassemble if you have diagrams that are poorly drawn or too small for you to differentiate the clutch packs, especially if the foreman/instructor just keeps telling you to use the book!
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

there's a YouTube video on this very Forum about how to rebuild a manual transmission it is excellent thanks Bob