Zach's 1985 Toyota Tercel DLX Hatchback

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Re: Zach's 1985 Toyota Tercel DLX Hatchback

Post by lannvouivre »

Well, I got the tie rods out using a pulley-puller from Harbor Freight. Is the steering rack supposed to have rotational play? Holding on to the stationary portion of the inner tie rod, I can rotate the rack (inside of the total housing, I am referring to the toothed portion of the rack) about 25 degrees up and down. This...doesn't quite seem right?

If anyone's interested in selling a manual rack, I may want one. I don't want to mess with the power steering pump (replace) if it's also messed up.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

I pulled the crank pulley. Looks like the person who messed with it last didn't know the crank pulley shouldn't be making out with the timing cover. So the lower timing cover has been "modified" by the pulley.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Did the pulley wear a groove in the cover?
See this pictorial I made: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10492&hilit=cover
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Did the pulley wear a groove in the cover?
See this pictorial I made: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10492&hilit=cover
Tom M.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I think this could be remedied with the Permatex black RTV - I would make a "backing piece" with aluminum foil and a piece of cardboard, taped to the inside (the foil would contact the RTV and the cardboard - or perhaps a popsicle stick - would be used to stiffen the foil). Then fill the outside with the RTV. When dry, gently peel away the foil.
You might also try something like JB Weld to eliminate the crack in the two upper bolt holes - I've never had my lower one off, so dunno if they use a metal tube for reinforcement like the two lower ones. If so - visit you local home improvement store for an appropriately-sized metal tube.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

How should the cover look where mine is all torn up? I need to see if mine has been warped or anything beyond just cuddling up to the pulley and getting its face mauled.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have seen that before, I think it happens when it gets assembled with the slinger or a washer missing or something. The stack up should be tall enough so the pulley does not touch the front cover. Another possibility is if they did not put all the bolts holding the cover on into it and it allowed it warp outward.

It will not cause great harm to run it like that, except that dirt and grit can get under the cover and cause wear and erosion on the timing belt and cogs. Not a big problem since in this case it will be behind the pulley. There is a popular fashion to run the timing belt exposed, particularly on the "ricers" where they get bright green or purple timing belts. I would greatly advise against this, particularly if you drive on gravel roads regularly (like I do), tiny pebbles and grit gets under the belt and pulley, and causes cutting and wearing of the belt and pulley. It is also dangerous to be working around exposed belts, inevitably something will get caught it and wrapped around the crank.

Hopefully it is not your long hippy hair, that will be painful(I have seen it happen).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Petros wrote:I have seen that before, I think it happens when it gets assembled with the slinger or a washer missing or something. The stack up should be tall enough so the pulley does not touch the front cover. Another possibility is if they did not put all the bolts holding the cover on into it and it allowed it warp outward.

Hopefully it is not your long hippy hair, that will be painful(I have seen it happen).
The bottom ones were not tight, and then the little spacer that goes between the pulley and timing cog was....I think it was backwards. I can't be sure because I immediately dropped it after I took it off. I'm using the parts diagram for the spacer's facing (whether it curves in or out), but just in case...should the concave side face the pulley, or the timing cog? How many parts should be there? I have the pulley, that spacer I mentioned, and the timing cog.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

the concave side faces the timing belt and helps keep it in line. So it should flare towards the pulley if that makes any sense.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

concave side faces away from the belt, it is like a belt guild, so the wider lip is away from the belt, towards the pulley. see if the primative diagram below makes sence

Belt__//
cog _//
____l l pulley/bolt
____l l
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Thanks. Petros, I am so far into medication withdrawal that I can't even fathom your drawing. I will look at it again later when my brain doesn't "itch."

I'm probably going to go drop the head on now. I still haven't decided on what to do about the cover and I can just barely think at all right now.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Progress shots:

Camshaft, rocker assembly, and head are not torqued down yet. Valve cover installed to keep dust out.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

The timing is now set, the plug wires are hooked up, and now I'm waiting on the RTV to cure on the lower cover. If this doesn't work, I will probably go ahead and reinstall it because I can't really do anything else until I get it on...I may go ahead and install the boots on the rack and leave the inner rods alone in case I go used. Right now, the engine can't be bolted to the mounts until the crank pulley is on, and it's honestly too high for me to work on installing the carb and stuff. I'm also debating installing my 1ZZ's old crank pulley bolt instead of the Tercel's if they are the same size and the 1ZZ's is the same or higher grade...if I can find the bloody thing.

Once that is all sorted, I'm going to be able to reinstall the alternator bracket, remove the power steering pump and its lines and plug them, then put the front wheels back on, install the radiator and cooling fan, install the carb and vac lines, and then replace the rear shocks. WOO!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

MAJOR PROBLEM: I have the lower cover back on with a temporary duct tape patch, my Vibe's old crank pulley bolt (it's a higher grade and only slightly longer)...and the crank pulley is still rubbing the cover! Am I missing a shim or something?
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Warped cover?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k