New Project 84 Tercel SR5 4X4

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: New Project 84 Tercel SR5 4X4

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club! Where are you located?
Great job!
I repeat - GREAT JOB!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
tazoutaw
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel SR5 4X4

Post by tazoutaw »

Thanks to all that have replied or left comments on my posting, T4WD.
tazoutaw

Post by tazoutaw »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Welcome to the Club! Where are you located? Southern California.
Great job!
I repeat - GREAT JOB!
Tom M.
Thanks to all that have replied or left comments on my posting, T4WD.
tazoutaw

Post by tazoutaw »

Mark wrote:Well holy crap. That's a hell of a lot of effort you put into it. I really like the new wheels. What are they from?
Came off a Saturn sedan
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

http://iconosquare.com/tag/tercel4wdI've seen your photos on instagram. Well done, you did a great job in fixing it up
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
tazoutaw

Post by tazoutaw »

Mattel, yes am on Instagram, ragstovintageapparel, thanks for your positive feedback.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

For future reference you can put multiple pictures in one post.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

is there any rust or damage on the car? it looks excellent in all your pics. i can't believe that such a gem was sitting somewhere for 6 years, and that it was lucky enough to find its way into the hands of an enthusiastic, meticulous new owner and not the scrap yard or someone looking to 4x4 it into the ground. it's a damn lucky car.
tazoutaw

Post by tazoutaw »

regarding damage or rust in the vehicle it had very little surface rust on the rear by the bumper as for damage it has small dents here and there.

A little history on the vehicle: I purchase the vehicle from a gentleman by the name of Paul in northern Oregon who had purchased the vehicle from a neighbor female where It had been sitting for over 6+ years in her garage, due to the timing belt, Paul replace the timing belt drove it around for about a month and he started hearing a knocking noise coming from the engine, he then decided he was going to replace the motor with a small diesel engine he had in his barn but unfortunately that motor did not fit in the engine bay so you decided to sell it. he place the vehicle on Craigslist in Oregon within 30 minutes I seen the ad, I called and purchase the vehicle sight unseen. Had vehicle transported from Oregon to Southern California.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i have heard of engines that have been sitting for a long time developing a spun bearing within a short time of being used regularly again. does anyone know why this is? does all the oil eventually drain out from the bearings and allow corrosion to form in them, or does it take too long for the oil to get to the bearings when the engine finally gets started again?
tazoutaw

Post by tazoutaw »

Thats what was wrong with this one, your right! WOW crazy.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have never heard of that problem, you only damage the bearings if they are run dry without oil. It has nothing to do about it sitting, but if it has oil pressure or not.

For engines that sit for a long time it is best to disable the spark, and craning it for 30 or more seconds unit the oil circulates through the engine, and than enable the spark and start it. this is standard procedures for a new engine as well. An oil pressure gauge will tell you when the oil pressurizes.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tazoutaw

Post by tazoutaw »

All can say, it's running very well now, am thinking of changing the carburetor to Mikuni what do you think about that ? could use a little more power at the start. comments on the carburetor or size ????
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i've never heard of a mikuni. what is it? most folks that want a sportier feel move on to a weber 32/36 DGEV but being in california, i don't know if you would be able to get away with one due to emissions regulations.
tazoutaw

Post by tazoutaw »

Thanks yes Weber, so a 32/36 is what I need? Does it make a big difference worth the money? Regarding emissions I just had it smogged, due 2 years from now Again.