Most Tercel place on earth.

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Most Tercel place on earth.

Post by Mattel »

I've been following an interesting Twin peaks type story TV series called 'Fortitude' which is a joint UK/USA production. It's based on a small colony of Svalbard which is administered by Norway on an island deep inside the Artic Circle.. The most northern habitable town on earth So everyone has to have a gun with them because of polar bears.

Anyway, while watching it one of the characters was driving a Corolla 4wd

Then I found this shot online

and this
ImageImage

So then I thought I'd check the place out on Google streetview and although there were perhaps only about 50 cars viewable through streetview because of the limited amount of streets they travelled and only 2,500 people live there in research, tourism and mining there was an amazing ammount of tercels and corolla 4wds and they were by far the oldest car. Here's some screengrabs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Most Tercel place on earth.

Post by Gottolovem »

Sounds like a savvy group of people!
I know what I would want to drive if I lived there a simple capable car.
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

Sweet!
Is this one a corolla sr5?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

never heard of 'fortitude' but with all the tercels and corollas and your twin peaks reference, i'm very intrigued.

crazy sleuthing skills, btw.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Looks like fantastic scenery. The town reminds me of some far north Alaska villages, most people own snow mobiles, not cars there. Driving season is very short.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

That area has a very interesting history, particularly during WWII. It was formerly known as Spitsbergen, jumping-off spot for many Arctic explorers.
A cursory look at the cars seems to note no major rust. I suppose salt is not used, as there are very few paved roads? Of course, there are not many roads on the entire island, so...
A 2014 film about the much smaller Russian town, Barentsburg, won several awards; its title is Dream Town - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3163276/ This place has but 500 people, but shows tremendous brick, multistory, buildings - quite a contrast to Longyearbyen, the subject of Mattel's post.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Drege

I believe it is a 1st Gen 1983-1988 Camry like this Image

Apparently they do not salt the roads there and just switch to over snow transport for half the year which makes the longeviety of these old cars a little more understandable

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/0 ... -liftback/
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Barry86sr5
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 4WD STATION WAGON/1984 Sr5 4wd station wagon (my brothers ride)

Post by Barry86sr5 »

Speaking of Twin Peaks...

Was watching the season 1 original TPeaks and I am pretty sure there is a charred Tercel 4x4 amidst the rubble of the sawmill fire... I will try to find pic...
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Hey Barry, that would be awesome.. we have a thread on movie sightings somewhere on this forum!

Season 2 of Fortitude was just on. I found out it is actually filmed in Iceland in a small fishing villages on the east coast. still looks amazing. Some quality actors in the series including Stanley Tucci, Michael Gambon and Dennis Quaid. Worth hunting down
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

a place like that might benefit from developing some ski touring adventure trips, there are lots of crazy youngsters intent on being the first one to ski a new line somewhere in remote mountains. Looks like there would be plenty to choose from there.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

They should build an ice hotel in the glacier (those who watched the show will get it).
Teecee
My tercel:: 2000 tercel

Post by Teecee »

it's an interesting place. hope they can build something to boost the potential of the place for people who wants to visit it
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »