Carmen

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Carmen
My tercel:: 83 Sr5 Stock

Re: Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Yeah, I'd cleaned them both pretty well. I must be bad though because both the water pump and tstat leak.

Hadn't realized the housing was so cheap, should have ordered when I ordered everything else just for chits and gaggles!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

If you are getting a new housing then ignore this advice, but you can check if your old one is warped by sanding the sealing surface. Place a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface and run the housing over it until you see a clean contact surface all around.

Where is it leaking at the water pump? There is an o ring behind the rear housing against the block. They age and crack, and then start to leak once everything gets disturbed.
Last edited by marlinh on Fri May 08, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Great call, that'll be what I'll do. Beats buying something new!

Thanks for the great tip.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

marlinh wrote:
Where is it leaking at the water pump? There is an o ring behind the rear housing against the block. They age and crack, and then start to leak once everything gets disturbed.
This bears repeating. There's a bypass tube running from the thermostat to the outlet, and there are two orings on it that will leak!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Right Paul, I forgot to mention those ones too!
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

It's right from the gasket actually. Replaced pump and stat, didn't leak before. Now it does. Just have another go @ it is all :)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

agreed on checking the thermostat housing for flatness. also, make sure not to overtighten the nuts when reinstalling it. that can deform the gasket, squeeze the RTV out, and cause the housing to warp.

those look like sr5 corolla wheels. i've always liked the look of them.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Also, might sound crazy, but are you letting it completely set (up to 24 hours?) before filling with coolant?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

irowiki wrote:Also, might sound crazy, but are you letting it completely set (up to 24 hours?) before filling with coolant?
that's a good point. i also give RTV a full 24 hrs to set before adding fluid. another reason i prefer the thermostats that have rubber gaskets.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Carmen wrote:..is there a trick to getting the waterpump and thermostat gaskets to not leak? I've tried like 5x w/ the thermostat now, everytime it leaks. Tried 2 gaskets and gasket+RTV. Next time is no gasket and RTV methinks.
I always use a gasket and coat both sides with a very light coat of gasket sealer. One very important detail about the T-stat no one mentioned, it is nearly impossible to keep it in its seat while you tighten down the housing cover, it wants to fall out and misalign as you tighten it down, so I always use some sealant to "glue" it into place. If it falls out of the seat it will still look okay and clamp up normal, but you will not see it and it will leak like "a screen door on a submarine". A thin bead of sealant around the cleaned seat should hold the rim of the tstat long enough to allow you get the gooped up gasket, and than the cover in place, and get the nuts on to the cover tightened down. Also, do not over tighten the nuts, it can warp the housing, they are only 10mm and should not need more than about 6-9 in-lb, which is just past hand tight.

You if you have a third hand available, they can hold the housing/gasket/thermostat up tight against the rear housing while you screw down the two 10mm nuts to hold it all in place. But my wife gets grumpy when I ask her to hold my parts tight while I get the nuts out, so I use the sealant to hold it in place.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

Petros wrote:You if you have a third hand available, they can hold the housing/gasket/thermostat up tight against the rear housing while you screw down the two 10mm nuts to hold it all in place. But my wife gets grumpy when I ask her to hold my parts tight while I get the nuts out, so I use the sealant to hold it in place.
Hahaha! Ugh, non-car-people are horrible help usually. Especially if they aren't familiar with tools.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Yeah, definitely saw you mention that tstat trick in the past Petros. Came in huge handy. After only a few times attempting without some "glue" the light bulb kicked on and I did just that :)

I reckon I didn't wait the 24hrs >< other car (truck) is down and out on acct of poaching it's wheels (got some steelies now finally) So didn't have other transportation. Tuesday that'll all be squared away and I'll give it a go w/ a full set time.

Thanks for all the advices, much appreciated.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

So jealous of yours!!! Where in California are you? :) Remember the show Knight Rider? Do you ever drive on the roads David Hasselhoff did with K.I.T.T.? I saw at least 1 T4WD in "The Rotten Apples". Your suspension looks rust-free for an '83 and your engine looks super clean for the year. If only mine looked that good! :( I live in MA where they salt the roads a lot! :(
K-Business
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

My roomie has a nice specimen from I believe MA, somewhere in that area anyways. Plenty of rust spots that have been rattle-canned over hehehhe. I'm no stranger to rust, MN born and raised where they salt the roads. Nothing is immune there.

Definitely a real treat to wrench when every bolt comes first try hehehehe.

I'm about an hour North of SAN Francisco, so northern CA. Plenty of redwoods around and nice coast :)

Me and Carmen are moving back to MN tho next month, so she'll finally get to utilize some of that 4wd come winter. Pretty stoked. Such a nice car, Toyota really hit a home run.

As for Knight Rider, sadly I'm too young/not cultured enough.

Thanks alot for the kind words, glad you dig her!

Eventually I'll make with some nice shots of her cleaned up/wheels pressure washed with some coastal or redwood background.

For now just waiting on some new rubber. After that she's pretty much ready for the trip :)

Cheers!
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Also of note, been @ 31.5-32.5 mpg for the last 4 tanks. Premium.

On the trip I'll switch each tank, Interested to see what straight hwy mileage will be like. These tanks are fairly Highway but a good bit of stoplights here and there.