any slammed, stanced, or lowered Tercel Wagons?

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
OLLIE86WAGON
My tercel:: 19862WD WAGON

Re: any slammed, stanced, or lowered Tercel Wagons?

Post by OLLIE86WAGON »

Sorry, I don't know how to delete posts lol
Last edited by OLLIE86WAGON on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
OLLIE86WAGON

Post by OLLIE86WAGON »

I'm currently in the process of modifying a set of AE86 ksport coilovers. I've used them in the past with other projects with some success. It is true that the car will never truly be completely aligned. Right now the car drives straight and does not pull to either side. I commute about 40-50 miles daily. Avoiding bumps and dips is the price you pay for a lowered car. Really, the Tercel Wagon is not that bad. My other cars had to have way more mods to adjust to be a daily.
I was not my intention to start a debate over lowered vs stock. I apologized in my part for that. I came to this forum to gather and share ideas. I like driving cars that are different. The style and shape of the wagon are definitely unique. I appreciate all the information in here and again, sorry if I started off on the wrong foot.
I'm going over build plans and my possibly go to a 205/60/13 after the coilover mod. Still gathering parts for the spring build. I'll post in a build thread if anyone is interested. Any suggestions and input is greatly appreciated. Cheers
* I also think the stance crooked wheels are terrible. (For the record)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

OLLIE86WAGON wrote:Sorry, I don't know how to delete posts lol
You changed it back to stock, all is well in T4 land again! LOL
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Hah! Paul and Spatterdog, you both fell for the troll bait!

I agree, just lowering a car without regard for suspension geometry, tire rub, bottoming out, is stupid and silly, and worse than useless. I see a lot of "ricers" around here, mostly hondas, that are squished down to the ground, with costly oversize wheels and tires, that they can not go over bumps, brake or steer too hard or they tear up their costly tires on the fender lip. That is so ignorantly stupid, there is no point in doing it, they have an undrivable garage queen. The point of the wheels, tires, and suspension mods is to improve the handling, not degrade it. Or worse, make it dangerous. there are actually laws against altering the car so it makes it unsafe, though there is not much of an enforcement process in most states.

When the Nissan racing program I worked for years ago highly modified a 300zx chassis to be lower and use much larger wheels and tires, we made extensive mods to the suspension and the frame and chassis. We had to relocating the suspension pick-up points, the strut towers and even move the fender wells way inboard. That was to give the larger tires room to move, keep the geometry correct, and stay withing the rules on changes to the body envelope. It is not a practical thing to do for a daily driver, might be if you wanted to strip and cut up a chassis just for the sake of "doing it right" on your project car, though I can think of a lot more productive things to do with a year's worth of spare time (like go skiing!). To do it "right", it is way beyond a home shop hobby, and beyond the knowledge and capability of most home mechanics, even the better informed ones. At Nissan, we had some of the best racing suspension experts on hand to guide the alterations, it paid off too, but it took more than just money to make a car go fast. I always approach changes to the suspension with a lot of caution and consideration for other effects to the car's behavior. I know how to do it correctly, and I do not think it is worth the cost and effort for a daily driver.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

Damn...

Theres nothing wrong with lowering it the way hes doing it. Cut it out guys. I recommended him to this forum and all we're hearing is blah blah lowering is mad mmmkay?

His car is awesome. Its not slammed 1/2 a mm from the ground with 45* of negative camber on 22s with cut springs. <- thats what you guys assume when you hear lowered. I wonder what yall think my lowered F150 looks like.

I bet if he lifted it no one would be complaining about how "it doesnt hold alignment" "its dangerous" and shouldnt be done. As someone with a LIFTED wagon Ill be the first to say, mine doesnt hold alignment, everytime I go off road (legit off road, not a 2 track gravel trail) I have to re-align my wheels. The Camber is adjusted as far negative as I can to get an almost straight up and down wheel, and frankly it is dangerous because it raises the center of gravity. I would know, I been rolled over before in it. See? I just said the same thing about our lifted wagons yall said about his lowered one, except I have picture proof, and the police report from when I was rolled.

Keep rocking it Ollie. Im sorry your getting such negative feedback.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i'm surprised that ollie's wagon has sparked such a conversation here. i already posted links to gottoyota's and littlered4wd's old threads about lowering their tercs but those threads didn't create much debate.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

I think its cause Matts had a 4age in it, which kinda trumps any negativity there, and littlered mentioned putting the lift back on before any of the more vocal naysayers showed up.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Hey now, I didn't even start it, I just said "I don't like lowered stuff". I didn't even say it was bad, it wasn't trying to provoke such a brawl! Matt's wasn't lowered right away anyway and I told him I didn't like it either when he did it. :lol:
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
OLLIE86WAGON

Post by OLLIE86WAGON »

Its all good guys. Like i said, the info on here is awesome and everyone has an opinion. I'm looking into purchasing a 4AGE 20v for a swap this summer. If the numbers are right, I will be able to start gathering parts after the suspension is done. Yeah, no one makes a proper bolt on suspension kit for the wagon. That's what my friends and I enjoy. The build. Finding the solutions for our visions. I'm fortunate to be part of a group that has time to try ideas. Yes we incorporate safety, but reliability and fun are up there too. No worries here, cheers!
OLLIE86WAGON

Post by OLLIE86WAGON »

splatterdog wrote:
OLLIE86WAGON wrote:Sorry, I don't know how to delete posts lol
You changed it back to stock, all is well in T4 land again! LOL
lol yes all is well!
OLLIE86WAGON

Post by OLLIE86WAGON »

dlb wrote:weclome to the forum, ollie. not many have lowered their tercs but there have been a few. here are a few threads that mention it. the first one is really long but i think the lowering starts around page 6.

viewtopic.php?t=9536

here's another

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7784&p=56963
Finally got a chance to read up on these wagons. THANKS! I built a checklist based on them.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Tercel__jon wrote:Damn...

Theres nothing wrong with lowering it the way hes doing it. Cut it out guys. I recommended him to this forum and all we're hearing is blah blah lowering is mad mmmkay?

His car is awesome. Its not slammed 1/2 a mm from the ground with 45* of negative camber on 22s with cut springs. <- thats what you guys assume when you hear lowered.
Clearly you didn't read my post, or anyone elses. Lowering can be good, many people have stated that. Stancing is never good. What's the point of having a wagon you can't load with stuff? Even if you want it to look great, why lower it to such a low static height that it becomes impractical?

The wagon looks great, a very clean example of the breed. But the tires! Dear god, his tires are about to debead! Who puts a 175 width tire on a seven inch wide rim for crying out loud? Poke style FTL.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
OLLIE86WAGON

Post by OLLIE86WAGON »

The Professor wrote:
Tercel__jon wrote:Damn...

His car is awesome. Its not slammed 1/2 a mm from the ground with 45* of negative camber on 22s with cut springs. <- thats what you guys assume when you hear lowered.
Clearly you didn't read my post, or anyone elses. Lowering can be good, many people have stated that. Stancing is never good. What's the point of having a wagon you can't load with stuff? Even if you want it to look great, why lower it to such a low static height that it becomes impractical?

The wagon looks great, a very clean example of the breed. But the tires! Dear god, his tires are about to debead! Who puts a 175 width tire on a seven inch wide rim for crying out loud? Poke style FTL.
Yeah I agree about the tires. I got rims and tires for 250. After the coilovers go in, I will raise it up a bit and get fitted with 195/50's. I think I can still have a lowered appearance but with more safety and comfort.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

The Professor wrote: Clearly you didn't read my post, or anyone elses. Lowering can be good, many people have stated that. Stancing is never good. What's the point of having a wagon you can't load with stuff? Even if you want it to look great, why lower it to such a low static height that it becomes impractical?

whoa whoa whoa....I said "guys" not "The Professor".

But now I will say, "yo, professor" because it sounds like your implying that his wagon is like the subaru in the article you linked... If you looked at littlered's tercel you can see how low you can go before encountering axle problems. Which is really the first thing to bottom out on our cars. Ollies is no where near as low. Also, from playing with our suspension as much as I have, its a lot easier on our cars to be lowered then lifted to the moon. Just look at the front swaybar and the angles on the ball joints.

Also, ollies wheels are no where close to de-beading. You do know that 175mm is 6.8 inches right?
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Tercel__jon wrote:Also, ollies wheels are no where close to de-beading. You do know that 175mm is 6.8 inches right?
Tirerack.com tells me that a 175/70/13 Kumho Sense tire http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Specs wants to be mounted on a five inch rim. Imagine how much more force is pulling in on Ollie's shorter, stretched sidewalls? Not only would the ride be better (larger volume pneumatic suspension, aka more air volume inside the tire), but a squared up sidewall is actually working within its design envelope. A stretched tire is an "accident" waiting to happen (except that it's not an accident because the kids are doing this on purpose!).

Look, I'm not just making this stuff up, I work for a vehicle manufacturer. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about T4s specifically, but I have also been around a while.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited