any slammed, stanced, or lowered Tercel Wagons?

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Re: any slammed, stanced, or lowered Tercel Wagons?

Post by drege »

Thats the thing I hate "stretched fitment" I hate it, every time I see it I wanna run the driver into the ditch/curb, its worse even than 10 years ago when people would find offset rims that put half of their tread outside of the wheel well, like this Image
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is illegal in all states (though not enforced very well). it tends to throw pebbles in the air to damage windshields and throw a lot of water in the air, blocking other motorists vision during rainstorms (we get a lot around here). My Pathfinder had wheels and tires like that when I got it, on muddy roads I would get 4 streams of mud spraying up along side the car, if I turned it would cover the windshield in about 4 milliseconds. I got flairs to stop it, one of the reason for the law that requires a fender, flair or flap to cover the tread area. it not only looks silly, but is not safe for anything other than a smooth, clean and dry road (which we do not have a lot of around here).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

Professor,

There shouldnt be any force pulling on the sdiewall because of air pressure. When the tire hits a bump, air pressure increases for a second forcing the bead tighter against the rim. If it was seriously stretched, it might be enough to un seal the bead at the point of impact, but his tires are seriously not that stretched.

Yeah, if you google search "stretched tires dangerous" You'll find shots of blown out tires. Take a good look at the rim instead. Its ALWAYS on the backside of the rim. Then take a look at the wear on the tread. What does that tell you? Whoever was running those, also had some stupid amounts of camber.

Before I fixed my cressida's suspension, it sagged real back and was "hellaflush" with stupid amounts of camber. Roughly 5 degrees worth. I went through a set of brand new rear tires (in like 3 weeks) before I figured out that excessive camber was a bad thing. They both had tons of wear right where the sidewall met the tread. Excesive camber in itself is much more dangerous then a stretched tire, theres more heat in one area...and as tires get hot, they degrade.

Im now the tire guy for the driftaholic drift events. I know how much/how little we can get away with, how much abuse they'll take (quite a bit) and how important they are. No one hits the skidpad with excessive camber or excessively stretched tires. If it wasnt safe Id be the first to raise hell.

Besides, the lowriders have been running stretched tires since the 70s in smaller rim sizes such as the 13s and 14s. When was the last time Youve heard one of them having a blowout, even when bouncing their hydraulics? Sure it happens, but not as often as tires blowing from being underinflated.

Yeah petros, from what Ive read, Washington is really anal about fender flares. Here in NC we dont even require fenders, windshields, or even doors. Seriously. I know New Mexico and Missouri, are two others that dont care if your tires stick out either.
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

Yea arizona is like that too; I'm not sure what arizona requires for you to legally operate a motorized carriage on public roadways, but it ain't much - but you godda figgure it caters to sand rails and buggys to get here and about without having to be trailered.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Tercel__jon wrote:Professor,

There shouldnt be any force pulling on the sdiewall because of air pressure. When the tire hits a bump, air pressure increases for a second forcing the bead tighter against the rim. If it was seriously stretched, it might be enough to un seal the bead at the point of impact, but his tires are seriously not that stretched.
Think about how a tire is built. The plys are laid down in a mold and covered with rubber. If you squeeze or stretch the tire's sidewall, you are asking it to deform from its native shape. Since we are discussing a stretched tire, go find a dismounted tire, preferably one with a short sidewall.

Measure the distance between the two beads. In our current example, the 13" tires (with a "native bead spacing" of five inches) has been stretched to fit on a seven inch wide rim. Taking your unmounted tire, spread the sidewalls apart so the distance between the beads is seven inches. Tell me how long you can hold the sidewalls in this position. THAT is the force that is constantly trying to debead your tires.

You mention going over a bump will increase pressure and push the sidewalls out. This is in fact true! But what happens next? The suspension will compress over the bump, then unload the tire and the air inside the tire will push back out on the sidewall with a force equal to what it was compressed with by the bump. Add this new force to the constant stretch of the tire's sidwall, and you have a bad situation.

Will it happen 100 percent of the time? No. 50 percent? Probably not. That is besides the point. When it does happen, you will probably be driving. On a public road. With traffic. Does the family youend up killing really desrve this fate, just you you can be hellaflush, yo?

Just put on wheels/tires with proper fitment and nobody gets hurt. Or flamed.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
OLLIE86WAGON
My tercel:: 19862WD WAGON

Post by OLLIE86WAGON »

going to use a new set up. 195/50's and 13x5.5 SSR's.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

are those from an sr5 corolla? they look like it. i've always liked them.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

the fella I got these from said they where off a 80s corolla
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Never mind the safety issues, but I think those are the same too.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

OMG! That is so incredibly stupid!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

agreed, it makes me sick just seeing it.

reminds me of this other 'stupid person tricks' video a friend just showed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcJQOWLxjFc
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

candidates for the Darwin award.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

OLLIE86WAGON wrote:Image
going to use a new set up. 195/50's and 13x5.5 SSR's.
:D Those are awesome rims! I think those SSR Formula Meshs will look very good on your wagon. I am a big proponent of finding wheels that really match the age and styling of a vehicle. I think going with period-correct Japanese rims is a very wise choice from a styling standpoint. Kudos to you!
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
OLLIE86WAGON
My tercel:: 19862WD WAGON

Post by OLLIE86WAGON »

Thank you, they were a good find. I also scored an old set of gold mesh rims off an older bmw. Similar to these rims. Thinking about raising the car up and using 195/60/13's.....pics soon
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

DUDE...those are SWEET.