Dan's FX build "The twinkie"

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Dan's FX build "The twinkie"

Post by Gottolovem »

Ok so it's not a Tercel! But this forum and my involvement in it has given me the courage to try to build a track car.
This will be a long term build for me 2 or 3 years, and I will do a lot of research before throwing dollar bills at it.
There is an immense amount of aftermarket stuff for the AE-82. The short list will be
Larger sway bars, adjustable coilovers all the way around,brake upgrade and a fire breathing engine :shock:

The engine is where the most confusion will be for me as to what direction to take.
This is a great link on what is possible with the 4a series motors, i'm gravitating towards the 4agze without the supercharger and with a ball bearing turbo?

http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm

I'm seeking ALL different opinions on the best way to squeeze all I can out of the engine without loosing reliability (I realize that's a balancing act)
I will be posting over on the AE-82 forum to but it's not the same as here for me :oldgeek:
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Re: Dan's FX build "The twinkie"

Post by drege »

DUDE! I'm so stoked to see your progress.
What are those white/metal bars from strut towers to fire wall?
Crumple zone control? frame torsion rigidity? our little FX aint got em.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Dan's FX build "The twinkie"

Post by Gottolovem »

The gt-s verision of the fx came with sporty upgrades.
Your right their strut tower support
bigger struts ,rear disk brakes, thicker swaybars, tachometer,150mph spedo i'm sure their is some other stuff to.
the 5 speed tranny is also known for taking ALOT of abuse before failure.