#7: 84 dlx dream terc

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: #7: 84 dlx dream terc

Post by marlinh »

Gee David, your dream terc looks great! I think the plywood is a great idea. Protect the carpet.

Are those your chickens?
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Does the plywood wobble around on top of the spare? I kinda like it to rugged and easy to swap out when it get's mucky
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

haha, i was wondering if anyone would notice the hens. yes, they are ours. we got 4 last spring, found 3 more in november that had escaped from who knows where. i absolutely love them to death.

i haven't played with the plywood much but i have not noticed any thumping around back there so far. i'll pull it out and take a look sometime and report back.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Maybe your spare tire is flat.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

If that's the repainted inclinometer - looks really good!
What is the name/color of the spray?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

ARCHINSTL wrote:If that's the repainted inclinometer - looks really good!
What is the name/color of the spray?
haha, i somehow KNEW you were going to ask, tom! i was hoping it was going to be called something ornate like 'desert commander russet' but it's plain jane 'red brown' by tamiya color. here it is.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

DA-YAMN - I be gettin' so predictable.
Maybe I've been on this site too long?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I really dig those wheels, and I REALLY like that plywood cover! How heavy is it though?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Hey David, what was the final price you got this car for? The price jumped so much from when it was first advertised. Just curious.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

all in, i paid $1250 for the dream terc. that included all the taxes and fees (i bought it from a car lot). pisses me off because i think that's way too much considering the high km, the amateur paint and bondo work, and the front end work it needed. the $600 the original owner sold it for last june or july was a reasonable price but i figured dream tercs don't come along every day so i should just bite the bullet and go for it.

the plywood is fairly heavy. i'm going to guess about 15 lbs.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

What thickness is it?
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I give my Tercels' dashboards and interior plastic panels/trim a wipe-down with Armor-all maybe once a year. I like to think it protects the plastic from UV damage (not that we get much UV here) and drying out/cracking. Where's the bondo on your Tercel? The fenders? It looks nice and rust-free.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

thanks mark. it looks good from a distance but up close you can see it was an amateur job. i still applaud the guy for doing it because he worked hard and stayed on top of the rust, it's just obviously not a professional job. the bedliner i'm going to paint on the lower portion will nicely disguise some of the mottling.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

found a set of cheap, crappy fog lights at a thrift store a while back. finally found a place for them. glad to add some more style points to this car.

i'm also happy with the switch and how i mounted it.

in other news, i can only get reman CV's around here so i went with one a few weeks ago, willing to give them another chance even after some problems with them on previous tercels. while the reman has no rotational play and eliminated the awful shift clunk the car had, i'm getting a lot of clicking on acceleration while turning. same thing from the old CV on the driver side, and it has a tiny amount of rotational play too so screw it, i ordered brand new EMPI's from rock auto for both sides and will return the crappy reman. i'd love to know exactly what is done to reman axles, or more specifically, what is NOT done to them, to make them so universally crappy. what is machined, what is replaced? exactly how do they decide when an axle is good enough? because the reman axle quality control is absolutely abysmal.

also snapped a park brake cable which really made me happy. i love when more jobs just keep popping up. oh well, so i ordered that too from rock auto while i was at it. i've gotten good at tracking down parts all from the same warehouse to save on shipping costs.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

How is it for ordering parts from Rock Auto? Have you compared prices with Lordco in Canada? What are your savings?

Nice fog lights. I mounted mine on top of the bumper because of rock shrapnel and the occasional having to use the car as a plow to get out. I love them!