Rebuilding

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
WarWagon
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 tercel

Re: Rebuilding

Post by WarWagon »

Petros I was reading up on a tranny post. Arlington or somewhere by you there is a good mechanic who is familiar with these trannys? Can they do a Full rebuild. Also how did all those parts you ordered "bearings and the likes" go?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

That transmission shop closed and the owner retired. There is a new trans shop in the same location, but I do not know anything about the new shop.

Forum member Xirdneh did my trans overhaul using the new parts, It all wenth together well but I have not driven on it yet, the car it is supposed to go in is still in peices in my garage.

You might see if you can PM Xirdneh and talk him into rebuilding a trans for you, he has quite a selection of trans parts available and is now quite experianced at rebuilding a Tercel4wd trans, most bearings and seals are available, but syncros are had to find new, might have to used decent used ones.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

What about cnc machining upgraded internals for the trans? As well as others respectively. I'm looking into going through schooling.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

unless you want to make a few thousand parts, CNC machining one or two would cost more than the car is worth. Lot of programing time, tooling set up, etc to get one part. We are still a long way from being able to "take a picure" of an existing part and have a machine make it.

Most of the seals and important bearings are still available, and still a small supply of tranny parts from wrecking yards. If these cars become valuable enough at some point, and cost of making a few parts comes down, it might be a viable way to go, but not just yet.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I agree. A thought at the moment but it would be a huge upgrade. 7age and 4agze or what Larry accomplished would be a long lasting and performance oriented doing. Up to 90mph of course haha.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Just drilled a deer. Need to fix Tatanka for winter anyways..

1. Can a regular dash accommodate a clinometer? With cutting?

2. What type of welder is used for this sheet metal

3. Slight front end damage I hit two deers in the same section. Can this car be repaired by professionals?

4. Will a 4a head fit a 3a block?

5. How effective is the egr system. Should I attempt to clean it?

6. Rear axle truss just cuz

7. How to install a block heater, powerful rear window defroster, rear window squirter. It moves liquid just no head, just a hole.

8. If you own a good sway bar with good ends on it for the front. And are willing to sell, please post a picture below.

9. New wiring on the list. What must be done to install all heaters, sound system, light bar, back up auxiliary lights, and can blue bulbs be installed for dash lights, 4wd light?

10. Barto lift with cut rear springs, petros brake upgrade, new windshield, rebuilt motor, accessories, straight and painted body with por15, all blue interior from spare car if a junk yard has a good one, fix rust, rhino line bumbers rear view mirrors, exhaust, go through brake system maybe make brake lines for the fun, take out ac?, rebuild front end, new axles, heat/sound insulation, transaxle gaskets, driveshaft painted with u joints and bearing replaced, rear axle painted, amongst other things. What do I need to know? I am getting the fat manual as well as saving money before the snow flies. I might just have to use a self serve garage @20$ an hour. I want to do most of it myself. My car is banged up. Hole in the radiator from deer. Had to take about 5 stops and 3 hours later to get 15 miles back home on my way to get money to pay my rent and get a check and go shopping. After two failed attempts to shut the car off going downhill to get speed and cool the engine. It was running, I didn't wait long enough before switching the key back on because the steering being locked on a corner is no Bueno. A flat tire and my hood flying up wrapped it all up. It was fun, I learned a lot, peeked under the car for future rust repair, never got it barely above the hot mark, not red mark.

I will fix my car before winter if I have made enough side money. Please inform me. Thank you all, and watch for those deer
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

>1. Can a regular dash accommodate a clinometer? With cutting?

yes, easy job, there is a thread on this topic in repair guides section.

>2. What type of welder is used for this sheet metal

I have seen it done with a gas welder with a tiny tip, do not attempt to use a stick welder (you will just blow holes in it). I am not a very experiance welder so I would not attempt welding thin metal, but I have brazed thin sheet metal parts together.

> 3. Slight front end damage I hit two deers in the same section. Can this car be repaired by professionals?

Yes, more troublesome if the frame is bent. If it is just sheet metal damage, that is routine repair.

>4. Will a 4a head fit a 3a block?

Yes, but why? it might lower the compression ratio because of slightly larger displacement. Just find a 4ac engine in a wrecking yard and rebuild the whole engine, and swap it out all at once in one day when you are ready.

>5. How effective is the egr system. Should I attempt to clean it?

I guess they work, mine has been disabled since I have owned it. Some forum members have successfully cleaned theirs. I think there is a thread on this topic.

>6. Rear axle truss just cuz

I think it is a wasted effort, I do not recall that real axle failure has ever occurred in one of these cars. It is not like you will ever overpower the rear axle (it came out of a heavier rwd corolla, plenty strong). I would not bother until all of the other more important stuff is done first.

>7. How to install a block heater, powerful rear window defroster, rear window squirter. It moves liquid just no head, just a hole.

sounds like you are missing a few parts. I am sure you can find a way to rig up aftermarket supplies. Rear defrost works well when it is working correctly, check it out. block heaters are installed per the aftermarket suppliers insturctions, best ones circulate heated water (install on heater hose), I have seen simple ones that you just stick on the oil pan with a magnant to heat oil pan. No installation required.

>8. If you own a good sway bar with good ends on it for the front. And are willing to sell, please post a picture below.

Is yours bad? eaier to replace rubber parts than toss the whole assembly. If so there are lots of forum members with spare parts that can help you with this.

9. New wiring on the list. What must be done to install all heaters, sound system, light bar, back up auxiliary lights, and can blue bulbs be installed for dash lights, 4wd light?

>10. Barto lift with cut rear springs, petros brake upgrade, ...

Long list: list out in order of importance/priority and start working down the list as budget and time allows. I have done with my daily driver, waiting until I have to replace worn parts anyway. For example, I gathered all the parts I needed for the brake up grade, and than when my brakes needed to be replaced I did it than (no point in replacing and throwing away good parts, nor installing new parts you will be replacing later).

good luck.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Okey dokey everyone. What kind of sheet metal to weld in the rusted areas?
My alignment is to the point were the shift lever and 4wd lever shake. What has it affected so far? Getting a decent amount of $$ saved up.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Also come on! I love this car! I will fix this car! There are no more tranny rebuild kits for this car! Who can build a tranny for this car!?