Just got my first one

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
bootlegger213
My tercel:: 83 sr5 4x4 stock

Just got my first one

Post by bootlegger213 »

So i found one finally! !!!. Been wanting one for a long time. Bought this 83 218k beauty from the 2nd owner a couple weeks ago and I'm in love. Runs great just keeps telling me it's over heating when it isn't and the fan won't turn on its own but that's OK. Other then the bad fuel cutoff solenoid it puts like a kitten. And I stole this thing at 700 bucks. Just got some body rust to deal with. Cheers fellas. Great forum

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Just got my first one

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

the temp gauge is usually pretty reliable, best make sure the cooling system is operating properly. Put in an aux temp guage, or swap out the sender, etc. if it gets too hot it will almost certainly need a head gasket.

I recommend check or change all of the fluids, new thermostat, check and change the belts.

Where do you live?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
bootlegger213
My tercel:: 83 sr5 4x4 stock

Post by bootlegger213 »

Thanks for the welcome. I'm up in Massachusetts. I went through the whole system coolant is new new fan new thermostat the coolant flows nicely and I burped it real good. Bottom of the radiator gets nice and cold when the fans on and gget nice and hot when the fans off. The temp sensor has some coolant seeping through the middle of it so I'm assuming it's no good
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is a pretty good indicator the sender is bad. even if it still appears to work, if it is leaking is reason enough to replace it. most autoparts stores can order them, I think all the Toyota models use the same sender so they should be easy to get.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

+bootlegger213: where in MA? I'm in Wellesley, hehehehe! As for the issues with yours, I recommend Natick Gas & Service! The new owner did an excellent job on mine! :)
K-Business