Tercel Savers Inc.

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Tercel Savers Inc.

Post by irowiki »

So I saved yet another tercel! The elusive 4 door hatchback! Going to sell the 1st gen sedan, use this for commuting after it is fixed up. Really like that it has AC (needs fixed) and rear defroster. Or heck, resell it later.

Is a bit rough, and not quite running right (probably a good tuneup will fix that)

149k miles, 5 speed manual. Paid $600! It is mostly in better shape than my 81 was when I bought it for $750.

Needs tires, rear struts, probably an alignment, and various interior parts. Rear hatch lock doesn't work. I think I can take the pins out and treat it as a blank lock?

I think the SR5 front seats will swap right in! Will have to have Dan keep an eye out for a FWD tercel for the rear seats...I think the wagon and 4 door hatchback use the same seats.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Vienna
Advanced Member

Re: Tercel Savers Inc.

Post by Vienna »

I'm naming her paddle. She looks like she went up the shit creek and someone forgot the paddle. Poor baby.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Paddle Hahaha :lol:
I'll keep my eyes open for seats

Vienna your going to have to start driving a stick :mrgreen:
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

We might be able to shoehorn our sr5 wagon seats in but we doubt it, so we'll pop the bad ones out real quick when we pick her up tomorrow and give her a try for testing sake.
Paul's using her for the work commuter, so I don't have to worry about driving her =)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Some of the bolts holding the front seats in are missing.... what the heck! I hope I can find replacements at the local bolt store.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Dad thinks, by this picture, I painted my 81 red. I guess the front ends kinda look the same.

So she drips oil while turned off. Not sure what is up about that unless the oil pan gasket is bad.

The guy I bought it from just changed the oil and it is already nasty. He only had it a month though, which makes me think the people before that never changed the oil and I'll need to change it a few times first...

The exhaust system is gone, just a pipe coming out of the flange and stopping where the cat should be. :shock:

The rear struts are toast, the rear wheels point out like this /--\

One of the front wipers moves freely when you grab it and move it.

Fun times :mrgreen:

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

So she drips oil while turned off. Not sure what is up about that unless the oil pan gasket is bad.

I've had a couple tercels over the years that had rust holes THRU the oil pan. Put good used ones on 'em. Just a thought...

Man, you've got tercelitis BAD! Good luck.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

rer233 wrote:
Man, you've got tercelitis BAD! Good luck.
Yeah I really wanted a work commuter which had AC and a rear defroster.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k