Hi from Australia

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Hi from Australia

Post by Petros »

driftke70 wrote: Only issue with the car im trying to fix now is:
Webber choke idle
Slight hesitation at low speed low throttle input cruising
Get the aircon working again
Stop moisture getting in the headlights

If anyone has recommendations for the above would appreciate input.

there is an idle mixture screw on the webers, adjustment is easy, you set idle speed and screw mixture in and out until you get smooth idle.

You may have to change the low speed jets, there is a thread on the weber where everyone lists the jet and air mixture tube combinations that work well. You should have a place down under where you can order the jets you need after comparing what you have with what others have found work well.

can not help you with the air con, though there are also kits that will allow you to replace all the seals in the compressor, which at this age is likely what you need. the compressors are pretty reliable and ususally do not fail, other than the seals becoming old and leaky.

there is a process where you can take out the composite headlights, rinse out with pure alcohole to get moisture out, let dry. than apply sealant to all of the seams of the housing. If you have cracks on the lens than those need to be sealed too.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi Driftke, in addition to what Petros is saying. Is your weber auto or manual choke? my manual choke car would seem to run a bit rich and also have this hesitation issue as well.

I would imagine a lot of the AC parts would be similar on similar year corollas with the 3ac/4ac/ but check first.

good luck!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
driftke70
My tercel:: 83 wagon 4wd stock

Post by driftke70 »

Does anyone know any more modern compressor that fit?

Say like an 05 corolla or yaris or something
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can make anything work, just depends how much fabricating you want to do. I would not go with the newer ones that use a serpentine belt, the pulley would be different. likely similar years corolla would use the same compressors.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

driftke70 wrote:Does anyone know any more modern compressor that fit?

Say like an 05 corolla or yaris or something
They use a much wider belt.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

i'm not sure how far you are away from this guy but he's selling a car load of parts for $100! perhaps he might have what you need?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ipswich/ ... 1105619425
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
driftke70
My tercel:: 83 wagon 4wd stock

Post by driftke70 »

yeah i saw that and have been trying to find the time to get out threre.
I was hoping to get the gearbox but apprently it needs some work. Some other things id like though.

My troopy came last week and I cant see me driving my turkey around a great deal any more. As much
as I love it if anyone wants to make an offer please do so. Its would have to be one of the cleaner registered tercels getting around world wide
and as of recently is in perfect running order save for air con.