New Member New Car

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Sparkey
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon, 4WD, Automtic, Barto lift in rear, 1" of lift in front with blocks, 1985 SR-5 Seats, 1983 SR-5 Instument Cluster, Headlights, Trailer hitch, set of roof racks, Lots of Spray Paint,

Re: New Member New Car

Post by Sparkey »

Decided that I would replace the old vacuum hose today and look over things. When I first start the Tercel and it running with the choke on it runs a little rough until it warms up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sparkey on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sparkey
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon, 4WD, Automtic, Barto lift in rear, 1" of lift in front with blocks, 1985 SR-5 Seats, 1983 SR-5 Instument Cluster, Headlights, Trailer hitch, set of roof racks, Lots of Spray Paint,

Post by Sparkey »

Found bad hose going to the TVSV port K to what the manual is calling a Gas Filter. Replaced that hose started working my way to the back of the Carburetor and notice the Secondary Throttle Diaphragm linkage was not hooked up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sparkey on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sparkey
Advanced Member

Post by Sparkey »

Trip to Napa Auto Parts got a retainer clip. What a bugger to get that little sucker on. Hey But Now I can hear the secondaries Kick in.
Last edited by Sparkey on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparkey
Advanced Member

Post by Sparkey »

Wanted to do a compression check, rented one at Autozone. Checked all four Cylinders across the board 150 Psi. So that makes it in its mid-life. Not too bad for 185,000 miles.
Last edited by Sparkey on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

What sounds do the secondaries make?
I have never noticed or maybe I don't know what to listen for?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Sparkey
Advanced Member

Post by Sparkey »

My Mistake should of used the singular form of the word. :oops:
And It should have Read " Hey But Now I can hear the Secondary Throttle Valve open".:lol:
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Yes, you can hear it open, what do you hear? I can't hear anything different when I pass 50% throttle or so.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Sparkey
Advanced Member

Post by Sparkey »

I would say it sounds like more air flow.
Sparkey
Advanced Member

Post by Sparkey »

My TVSV started Leaking coolant from around the crimp where the brass and the plastic meet. Pick one up at Pick-n-Pull for 2.99$ went home and tested it out using the FSM seemed to test out good.
Last edited by Sparkey on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sparkey
Advanced Member

Post by Sparkey »

Started the car with the "new" used TVSV and ran a few errands things seemed good. Next morning car started the car seemed to be running poorly acted cold blooded and ran poorly all the way in to work. On my ride home from work still running poorly and smoking from the tail pipe. Got home and started looking at the vacuum lines and pulling them from the TVSV found gasoline in the one coming from the AAP on the Carb. So I split the hose and plugged both ends. Cars seemed to run okay this way. But I wanted to get it fixed.
Pick-n-Pull Had some new inventory and a new Wagon and It Was a 1/3 off this weekend for Toolkit Members .
Time to go see what I can find.
Maybe a carburetor I can rebuild while still driving with the one I got.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

likely since you got a working TVSV it activated the AAP, and than the AAP failed. it will run fine without it, it is only there to help the cold acceleration, once the engine warms up the TVSV cuts it out of the circuit.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

you can replace the AAP without doing anything else on the carb, and you can do it without even removing the carb from the engine. it's just 3 screws that hold the AAP in place. remove them, remove the old ruptured diaphragm, put a new diaphragm (from a rebuild kit) or a good used one in, put the housing back on. bam, done in 5 minutes.
Sparkey
Advanced Member

Post by Sparkey »

I Thought about Just replacing the AAP but I have other issues with the carb that need to be addressed. The pump Plunger boot is cracking and seeps. I smeared a little RTV on Plunger boot it seem to help with the seeping. But Looking thru the view port at the fuel level is low. I figured the float needs to be replaced and adjusted. I don't want to have the car down for that long, and for me to try to rebuild the carburetor with the possibility of no success. With the money I would spend I would be a 1/3 cost of a rebuild with National Carburetor and they will give me a warranty. So I think I may continue to drive it then buy a rebuild when I have the money.
Sparkey
Advanced Member

Post by Sparkey »

So I started tracking my gas mileage and even with the bad AAP,and the ports blocked. I am still averaging 25 MPG driving in town with a little short trips on the Hi-way here and there. This lead me to look in to try to find a carburetor kit and float for a better price. Ended up finding a replacement float for 8 bucks and got a carb. Kit shipped to the house for somewhere around 27.00$. I decided that I would just remove the Air horn from the top of the carburetor and replace what I could access from there.
Last edited by Sparkey on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sparkey
Advanced Member

Post by Sparkey »

Do you see anything odd here? Look close.