Tercel stalls and dies while driving

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Tercel stalls and dies while driving

Post by scotisha »

Hey All,

I have a small problem with the Tercel that I would like to get resolved as it is a PIA sometimes (or more accurately when the wife drives the car she seems to have all bad luck).

When driving the car, it will sometimes start to sputter and die (almost like it is not getting gas). When it occurs, I can sometimes revive it by tapping the gas pedal lightly till it passes or just let it stall and rolling-start it (once it restarts there it acts normal). It seems to happen more when the car is cold (I have also been noticing it on hills but that could just be me imagining things).

I have a weber carb installed but this problem didn't start until recently. I added the fuel pressure regulator and the problem has not been occurring as much but it still happens (I think I have it set to 3 psi).

I previously looked into this when the problem was occurring more frequently and I was leaning towards a vac leak, dirty dizzy, accelerator pump, or bad float level in the carb. DLB and I checked all the vac lines and they are all connected correctly and I replaced the distributor cap/wires. I will have a look at the carb float level and accelerator pump but I am looking for other potential sources for my problem so if anyone has any suggestions.

I have no time to do the repairs diagnostic myself so i am also looking for a mechanic in Victoria, BC that would be familiar with these old cars. if anyone knows of anyone that would be great!!! I am looking to get the work done next week

Thanks,

S
Driver: '86 4wd Tercel Wagon
Fun: '98 BMW M3 sedan

Now I have the best of both worlds!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Tercel stalls and dies while driving

Post by dlb »

hey man. glad to hear you got the fuel pressure regulator in there. i have some questions about your problem.

- did the car used to do this when you brought it here last year or has it only started since then?
- does it do it at all temps, or just when cold/warming up/warm?
- does it sputter and die while idling, accelerating, or cruising?

my first guess is fuel filter but need more details.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

could it be icing in the carb?
is the flexhose from exhaust manifold to air filter housing intact?
when carb ices over pushing accelerator to floor will kick in secondary of carb and keep it going
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I'm unfamiliar with the Weber carbs and vacuum systems. I was just having similar symptoms as you for the last few days and I was sure it was a vacuum leak. Yesterday I found that the flex hose that Xirdneh mentioned had fallen off somewhere so the carb wasn't getting warmed air when it was cold, leading to poor fuel atomization. It was always trying to stall when it was cold unless I kept my foot on the gas pedal somewhat and it would stutter when I accelerated. I just replaced the hose and it's fine now.
-Not saying that's your problem as well, but it's just a little motivational speech to say that it is sometimes possible to sort out issues like this.
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

Thanks for the quick replies!

DLB:
-Nope the problem only started a year after I installed the the weber
-It does it at all temps. It mostly happens when it is cold and rarely when it is warm.
-The splutter is usually when accelerating.
--> I will check the fuel filter when the weather gets nicer mid week :)

Xirdneh:
-I will check that flex hose
-If i floor it when it starts to stall it just stalls, I have to tap the gas to get it going again and that doesn't always work.

Mark:
-I am hoping that it will be a simple-ish fix like that.

S

dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

the fact is does it on acceleration when fuel demand is high, and more when it's cold when fuel demand is even higher, does point to a fuel supply problem. when did you last change the fuel filter? if it was years ago or you're not sure when it was, i would start there. they're like $4 and wonderfully easy to replace.

the weber does not have any heater hose for the air cleaner, which is part of the reason it is prone to icing in cold, humid environments. i would love to mod one to have some cold temp components like that.
scotisha
Top Notch Member

Post by scotisha »

Fuel filter seems to have done the trick! Thanks DLB!!!

brownbagroaster
My tercel:: 1984 stock wagon 42k miles

Post by brownbagroaster »

My 84 Tercel is cutting out under load. I replaced the fuel filter, and it ran just fine for a couple of months, and it happened again. Swapped the fuel filter, and it worked again. Another month, and the weather started getting warm and it happened more frequently. It got to the point where I would just pull the hoses off the fuel filter and drain them, and it would work again. I have blown through the hoses, and they are clear. I finally swapped the fuel filter today, and it ran for a while, and as soon as it warmed up and I drove it down the hill and back up, it died again. The curious thing is that it will idle all day without a problem, but put a load on it, and it dies. I have replaced the distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires recently, but it has been doing this before and after that. It isn't a spark problem, but I'm not sure what my fuel problem may be. Any thoughts?
brownbagroaster
My tercel:: 1984 stock wagon 42k miles

Post by brownbagroaster »

Sorry. I mean -- I replaced the fuel PUMP today.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

So you have replaced both the fuel pump and filter recently? Some people have had bad fuel pumps out of the box, there have been a few threads on that topic recently actually.

Have you checked the float level in the carb? If you remove the air filter housing there is a sight glass on the front of the carb with two points, one at the top and one at the bottom. The fuel level should always be between those two points.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Had a similar problem with my latest Terc wagon ('85 FWD A/T.) Car would run fine for a while and then quit. Changed the fuel filter and it was good for maybe 50-60 miles and then quit again (another plugged fuel filter. Diagnosed problem by installing an "aux fuel tank" (gallon antifreeze jug) wedged between the distributor and booster with lines running to and from the fuel pump. No more problems- just carry a couple gallons of fuel in the trunk to refill the jug. Turned out the fuel tank was full of rust and the pickup screen was all busted up (no real big surprise-the car had been sitting for 10-12 years when I got it.) 4WD tanks have a drain plug at the bottom, but FWD do not- I wound up replacing the tank with a new one from Rock Auto. Cost like $100 plus only $11 shipping. Good to go!

Good luck- hope this helps.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)