engine swap 3AC to 3A wont idle just wanna...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Re: engine swap 3AC to 3A wont idle just wanna...

Post by gnarnold »

thank you for all your help ,but one more thing I noticed that thefan wasn't turning on so whe I tested it with my meter it turned on with the key off and quit when I turned it on (with the leads on switch unplgged
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

do you mean the EBCV the black thing .? and when it surges it does it when I get the idle to even out too its just not as strong . it seems like the temp might be involved . I gotta pull the switch at the bottom of the radiator and take it down to the auto parts store they have no idea what im talking about
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

The thermal switch in the bottom of radiator should trigger the fan to come on when the temp gauge In the dash gets to roughly 3/4. If you unplug the thermal switch the fan should run continuously.
If it doesn't run with the switch unplugged try to swap the relays for the fan in main fuse box as a test.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

ok the fan does turn on when unplugged so got the temp sensor unit on the way , first start of the day was not bad aside from temp issue still surges but its more of a gradual surge is there any other adjustment that you know of to help smooth out idle.we are almost there I can feel it .
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the thermal switch on the raditor ONLY operates the cooling fan. this fan never even comes on when you are moving and their is airflow through the radiator. Even in heavy traffic it hardly ever comes on, only when sitting still for more than about 5-6 min and it is running. So that temp sender would not affect how it runs or any surging issues.

The thermal sender than controls the emissions control system is on the coolant outlet on the front of the head (where it goes to the top of the radiator), next to the TVSV. I am not sure if that one is faulty if it would cause it surge. Perhaps it might, it just depends what the "default" reading it gives when it stops working. Unplug it and see if it makes a difference. I am sure the FSM has a resistance value so you can test it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

A friend of mine with a tercel spent weeks trying to figure out a surging issue he could not get the car run smooth for a smog test.
He finally put another distributor in from the junk yard and the problem went away.
I doubt this is your problem if the distributer is off of your old blown motor and was working well on that motor.

Did the replacement motor have parts on it that you used or did you swap everything over from the known bad engine block.
Don't go buy a remanufactured distributor they are unreliable and expensive find a factory one at a junk yard.
Many forum members carry an extra one in the car with them.

AGAIN this is likely not your current problem just a good extra part to have for troubleshooting.

Wait for another member to chime in with more experience than myself.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

the old distributor looked old and weathered so replaced it with the new one off my old engine along with rotor I threw the old cap away.i have the old distributor itself should I swap them .could you post a link to the steps on how to time or fix the distributor issue.also I ordered the sensor for radiator they gave me wrong one so I had them order all three they had so I could compare.do you think its more likely theone by the TVSV?
im getting closer to my move day tomorrow I gotta put a flame under my pants damn tercy picks the worst times to throw a fit

I have the old sensor by the tvsv should I swap that as well
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

If distributor you are referring to is a remanufactured distributor you purchased at a parts house I would put the old one on.
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5216
Be sure you are on the compression stroke I like to pull the #1 spark plug and put my finger over the hole while I turn the crank to TDC when it spits air past your finger that's the compression stroke. Then shine a flashlight in the hole to confirm the piston is at the very top of cylinder.

I would not mess with the sensors now it's got nothing to do with the surging issues.
Good luck
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

well I cant get the timing right until I get it remain at a constant temp right now the fan wont turn on and it over heats no fan
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Can't you disconnect the thermal switch and make the fan to run continuously?
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Did you already confirm that the thermostat was good?
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

ok have I got a nightmare for you guys....well while upon trouble shooting the fan/surge issue , I noticed a sizeable amount of oil under the area of the bell housing metal plate area .so I thought I didn't get the hard to reach back bolt of the oil pan (replaced pan gasket)so I tighten it up and then I noticed it coming from the bell housing \plate area . to make a horrible story short . im a main oil seal 2nd pull of the "rebuilt engine "(and I use the term rebuilt loosely about as loose as one of the bolt that held on my thermostat assembly was) that was supposed to be in good shape. the thermostat not only looked like a artifact from a long time ago and was stuck so now I gotta find some one to brace the flywheel so I can torque the bolts and clutch etc . and maybe by then I will be where I was before .where that is I don't know m somewhere between brink of insanity or public transportation.
any tips on how to brace the flywheel top torque those bolts? i
there is a place of damnation. it is terce-hell
and today is move day
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Sorry to hear a bought your trouble stick with it I'm sure your not far away from success.

Forum member Petros has a great trick for preventing the motor from turning.
Take out the #1 spark plug and stuff the chamber with a soft cord make sure you leave enough hanging out so you can get it back out. When you turn the motor the cord ( rope) gets squished preventing the motor from turning all the way over.

Where is Jordache ca and where are you moving to.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

at the risk of sounding like a person who does not know what the rope trick is for (besides not turning the motor ) im gonna stick my neck out and risk it all , I don't know the purpose .
jordache was a fancy designer jean company back in the day right up there with those hoytie toitie calvin kleins , costa mesa /new port beach fits all those descriptions and more but I wikk be mature about my feelings towards said townships. Huntington beach is ......well ...like ..ah screw it they all suck .expensive rent over crowded beaches when weather permits .traffic is ridiculous .its just easier to associate (mentally to prevent ramblings like now)with rich people pants . geeze what have I become . this car is really getting to me.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

The rope will lock up the motor so you can torque flywheel bolts clutch bolts etc.