Driveshaft Suggestions

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Hey all.

I have had this hum since putting my car back together, and it didn't take long to figure out the culprit. It's that damn center driveshaft bearing. Should've known, I have replaced those on every Toy I had that had one. Now for the question.

Has anyone either looked into or actually done the swap from the 2 piece driveshaft to a 1 piece? I know lots of people with Toy Trucks have done this, with weight decreases and crisper acceleration, and was wondering if anyone has figured oiut the drive angles to see if this would be an easy task.

I may look into having one made, or else I will hit the yards this weekend and find a good one (hopefully), the new ones are right around $100. Mine don't really shake or have too much play, it just is noisy, maybe a bit 'dry' from the years of sitting. Heck, maybe I'll just put a small slit in the rubber cover and pump a little bearing grease into it.

Anyway, any suggestions/comments welcome!
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I have a spare driveshaft in my garage and it's a remarkably simple thing. Just 4 bolt flanges on the ends and a couple u-joints. There's no splines to be the wrong size or number of splines when you're trying to replace it. This is something I haven't played with yet but there is some info on one-piece driveshafts at club 4ag, and those Corolla GT-S driveshafts are so close to ours. Good luck at the wreckers, I hope you find something that works.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Fingers wrote:I may look into having one made, or else I will hit the yards this weekend and find a good one (hopefully), the new ones are right around $100. Mine don't really shake or have too much play, it just is noisy, maybe a bit 'dry' from the years of sitting. Heck, maybe I'll just put a small slit in the rubber cover and pump a little bearing grease into it.

Anyway, any suggestions/comments welcome!
I've looked at the center bearing a few times to check for looseness. Seems that the rubber surrounding the bearing might be a little loose fitting. I only get some occasional noise & rumble when going into 4WD at road speed sometimes...no noise when not in 4WD.

What you might do:

* shim the rubber around the bearing to make it less prone to allow vibration...or inject some RTV into it if it is hollow?

* I've have an idler bearing on an engine that started sceeching like a loose belt...this happened several times till I finally put oil into it....then I would forget about it...then in the fall it would do it again...more oil...then some grease....been going on for about 3-4 years now. This bearing actually had at least 1 flat spot on a roller....I then used some oil addtives and grease...it sort of cured itself some.

Caution...with this bearing, if you pry the seal out of one side...you can never get it back in right. Best method was to pry up the rubber seal right near the center just enough to get the needle in and inject grease into the bearing...then push the rubber back into place.

I think the center bearing is higher and allows more ground clearance?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Thats somthing I was thinking about(Realy),and a good point.The split-drivshaft might offer better middle ground-clearance and in the world-of-4-weel'in,Hi-sideing is a big deal.So once again,you have made an astute observation Takza-Hopper,on par,I would say,with 3As Poly-gromit observations.Bothe contenders for the esteemed anual "Good-Point" awards. Meenwile,Ive noticed youve "Fancyfied" your Signiture.I will try again,most likely in vain and bringing to mind those imortal words, "What am I,Chopped-Liver?". :blink:
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I do realize how simple the driveshaft is, like I said, I have replaced the center bearing before (on my celicas). And I do realize the slight loss of clearance, but due to the non-extreme angle of the shaft following the cdb, the clearance would not be of a substantial loss, considering the only times I will use the 4wd would be in nasty weather or some trail riding, I really don't have any plans to do any rock climbing or extreme off-roading. So if I just weigh the pros-lighter weight, better response, one less piece to go out; with the cons-loss of a few inches of center clearance; I think looking into the fabrication of a solid shagft may be in the books. Besides, if I am gonna spend some money on something, I think wheels and tires would be 1st on my list, and if I am looking at a new driveshaft bearing, or whole new driveshaft for about the same price, give me the bigger package, just so I can see how it works, and to let all of you all know if there is any significant differences or problems encountered.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the lubrication advise. I will have to take the thing off and give it a good lookin over. Like I said, it just seems dry, not really bad, so maybe after some hot oil injection, I will just forget about it and not worry about it....until it goes bad. And I know it will....

Talk at you all later, off to club 4ag!
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Fingers wrote:Oh yeah, and thanks for the lubrication advise. I will have to take the thing off and give it a good lookin over. Like I said, it just seems dry, not really bad, so maybe after some hot oil injection, I will just forget about it and not worry about it....until it goes bad. And I know it will....
Well, there is one difference between the idle bearing I mentioned and this driveshaft bearing....if the idler bearing goes out, I can just slice the AC belt it runs on and go on...if this driveshaft bearing does...you might be stuck.

As far as the clearance issue...I'm getting more into the offroad thing...and have some experience in the boonies....seems that generally you always run into go-no go situations...where it's should I try it or not? In these situations you need all the clearance & help you can get.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Yeah, but the thing is, even if the bearing were to go out, it would most likely not be a 'bam, it's broke' type situation. I have driven on many a bad center drive bearing for way too long of periods of time. Usually I replaced them when the noise couldn't be drowned out by the stereo. Actually, once because I was taking a new girl out on a date, but that is another story. Besides, even if it did break, I wouldn't be stuck. I would just do the same thing i did to diagnose the problem - remove the driveshaft altogether. See, there is a positive for fwd-4wd setups!

And while I do see the 4wd clearance aspects you describe takza, I just don't see myself doing any crazy off-roading. So far I have used it in the rain once (mostly to see how it worked), and once to climb a nasty, loose gravel, steep driveway. Then again, I could find my desire to go nutty and I would just have to swap on the old setup anyway, along with eliminating the larger rim/lower tire combo.

But, if we could figure out a way to substantially lift these beasts....hmmmm....

Helliphino.com
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Thereminator wrote:Meenwile,Ive noticed youve "Fancyfied" your Signiture.I will try again,most likely in vain and bringing to mind those imortal words, "What am I,Chopped-Liver?".       :blink:
Well, first you have to type in more words...maybe a recipe or something? ;)

Then...for some reason a lot of that stuff doesn't work for me either...java-based?

I can get the colors to work...just put the "color-code" after the first few letters to get 2 colors...might be able to get many colors if you try hard enough......talk about FANCY?

Then...it's avatar time........and times a wastin' grasshopper!

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Fingers wrote:And while I do see the 4wd clearance aspects you describe takza, I just don't see myself doing any crazy off-roading. So far I have used it in the rain once (mostly to see how it worked), and once to climb a nasty, loose gravel, steep driveway. Then again, I could find my desire to go nutty and I would just have to swap on the old setup anyway, along with eliminating the larger rim/lower tire combo.

But, if we could figure out a way to substantially lift these beasts....hmmmm....
I have trouble finding places to get offroad...if fact, I tend to sneak onto old railroad grades and so forth just to get offroad a little. The more I drive offroad, the more I'm liking it....tempted to just drive down the ditches from now on...... :rolleyes:

The old Tercel wagon still surprises me as to what it will do...but there's always that hidden rock or log or hole to worry about. I go slow (crawl) and watch for stuff...except where things look clear. If I get it stuck...I get to dig it out. If I mess something up....I get to fix it.

Major change for me has been the wheels & tires...a sticky tread and aggressive tread pattern does wonders.

I might eventually see some serious stuff I might want to get thru...then again I might not get back either. :blink:

Have little doubt that if I put it in EL/4WD and punch it up thru 3K....it's going places in a hurry!

As far as lifting it....I heard mention of at least 2 people who described doing it...on the old Tercel page and on a Google group. Just not so sure about the longevity of the front axles if you do....but seems it's possible at least.