How to set base ignition timing

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
GLA67
My tercel:: 84 tercel 3AC

How to set base ignition timing

Post by GLA67 »

I installed a new 32/36 Weber on a 1984 Tercel 3A engine and can not get the car to idle or start. How do I get the base timing set so that I can at least get it to idle?
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: How to set base ignition timing

Post by marlinh »

Was it running before you changed the carb?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

if you only replaced the carb and did not touch the distributor, the timing should not be your issue. i would think it would be fuel delivery.

if you did remove the dizzy and do in fact need to reset the timing, use a ratchet and 17 mm socket to turn the crank clockwise until the timing mark is at 0* TDC. pull the first spark plug and plug its hole with your thumb while you turn the crank clockwise with the ratchet. keep going until you feel pressure start to build up on your thumb, then look down at the crank pulley and stop when the mark on the pulley reaches the '0' on the lower timing cover. now get the ratchet out of there before you forget about it and wreck your radiator when you try starting the car.

next, reinstall the first cylinder spark plug. install the dizzy, making sure the rotor is pointing at about 10:30 once the dizzy is fully inserted. loosely install the dizzy bolt. put the dizzy cap back on, disconnect and plug the vac advance hoses, put a timing light on it and set it to either 5* or 10* BTDC—5* is stock but 10* is better. reconnect the vac hoses and confirm the timing advances by about 8* at idle.

next you will have to set the weber's idle mixture and idle speed.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5216

Moderator, would you consider this post to stay on page one of the repair guides?

EDIT - Done!