Bushings - Polyurethane or OEM?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mr. Mad Ox
My tercel:: '86 SR5 Wagon

Bushings - Polyurethane or OEM?

Post by Mr. Mad Ox »

So I'm starting to replace the clutch in my 86 SR5 and while I'm in there I'm going to replace the sway bar bushings and collars. I've checked out multiple threads in the parts numbers section on the OE bushings and on the Australian Super Pro Polyurethane ones. It seems the Super Pro collars are much thicker than the OE ones but the only sites I could find that had them say it's a special order and could take 4-8 weeks, and special orders aren't returnable.

The Super Pro Kit (Just the four swaybar to control arm bushings and two collars):
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... d=SPF1064K
http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.c ... d=SPF1064K
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/pr ... d=SPF1064K

It also sketches me out that all three of those websites are basically identical, so who is really selling these kits?

For OEM I'm looking at The Toyota Parts Zone site (All bushings & collars + retainers, wave washers, and lock nuts):
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/online/P ... 184-61400)

So really what I want to know is:
a.) what are the pros and cons of polyurethane vs. OE bushings? and
b.) has anyone ordered the Super Pro kit from one of those sites (or a different one) and if so what was shipping time like?

I'm leaning towards the OEM unless polyurethane really makes that much of a difference...
Thanks in advance.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Bushings - Polyurethane or OEM?

Post by splatterdog »

Mr. Mad Ox

Post by Mr. Mad Ox »

did you order them from http://toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages ... hings.html? because I contacted that guy and he said they were out of stock and weren't getting any anytime soon. I also checked out this site: http://www.superpro.com.au/where-to-buy ... EGCODE_USA and the two dealers in NC are the closest to me but they would still have to order them from Australia so I'm wondering if poly is gunna be worth the hassle and wait when I can get OEM in just a few days.

What are the different handling characteristics? From what I understand poly is a stiffer ride and lasts longer, correct?
And just for clarification the OEM ones are rubber, right?
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I am curious too about these parts. Here in Canada, they are only available from the dealer and it costs over $120 for the parts.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i'm curious about what the difference is too. i imagine poly bushings are supposed to give a firmer ride but unless you also replaced the other bushings with poly's, and the springs and shocks as well, i'm not sure if i would be able to feel any difference.
Mr. Mad Ox

Post by Mr. Mad Ox »

I ended up ordering the Super Pro ones from their dealer Motion Lab in Charlotte, NC.

SPF1064K- swaybar to control arm + collars.......$38.03
SPF0979-21K- swaybar to chassis.....................$34.50
Shipping from Australia................................$26.10
Total.......................................................$98.63

They should be here in two weeks.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

wow, those are excellent prices. let us know how long shipping takes and how you like the polys.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is a great price. Stiffer bushings will make a noticeable difference. I know when synth went to the larger engine he had trouble with the wheels hopping on acceleration even with new factory bushings, he installed the polyurethane bushings and all of the wheel hop and torque steer went away. Consider that the suspension is forced forward when you accelearate since it is the action of the tires on the ground that drives the car forward.

My only concern is that it puts more leverage on the end of the swab bar, so if there is any corrosion pitting or necking down of the sway bar end from wear or corrosion, best to find a new sway bar before you put in stiffer bushings. I would also regularly lubricate these bushings with the Teflon/silicone spray to keep them from chaffing away.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Another nice thing about poly is extreme oil resistance. This allows just about any sort of lube to be used on them, not just silicone spray/grease. I keep mine soaked with Fluid Film as it's exceptional at slowing corrosion. I also apply synthetic grease between the sleeve and bar end stud during assembly.

The poly bushing kits also use a solid steel sleeve that is much thicker than the stamped oe sleeves that dissolve quickly in road salts.
Mr. Mad Ox

Post by Mr. Mad Ox »

Finally got them! I ordered on Sept. 19th so it took almost three weeks. One thing though, the Super Pro guys never sent any tracking to the shop in NC so that was kinda lame but not really a big deal. I'm hoping I can put my trans back in from doing the clutch tomorrow. I've been doing this clutch job at school one day a week for the last 4 weeks and so far I've replaced the real main seal, pilot bearing, the clutch disc, and the pressure plate, I also sanded the flywheel down with 80 grit sandpaper. It's been slow but it's finally coming together. Next thing I have to figure out is brakes.