car bucking at 2Krpm. Distributor cutting out?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: car bucking at 2Krpm. Distributor cutting out?

Post by irowiki »

My car is an 81 but was made in 80, this is normal!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

hmmm. i remember forum member xirdneh encountered a difference in the wiring for the primary and secondary fuel cut solenoids between some carbs. he talks about it in a few threads so here are all of them.

http://tercel4wd.com/search.php?st=0&sk ... hor_id=274

is the green carb plug you're talking about on the passenger side? i think it powers the auto choke, 2 fuel cut solenoids, and the carb base heater. an easy way to figure out which one of those is the culprit would be to individually wire each one using spare wire and spade connectors. then you could connect just 3 at a time. when the problem goes away, the one that is not connected is the system you need to look at.

regarding year, does your terc still have the owners manual? assuming it's the one that came with the car, that will tell you which year it is. generally, i have found that most tercs made from sept of one year on will be included in the next years model, so if your car was made in oct '84, it probably is an '85. a little confusing but hey, that's the auto industry.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Gee, I thought if you disconnected that green plug, the car would die. One of mine did when I tried that once.

I always give the date of manufacture when I order parts. Sometimes the cut off for production year is June, or whatever. It never hurts to give the parts guys as much info as possible. If there is a discrepancy in parts they usually mention to you that there may be a problem.
trailerparkzero
My tercel:: 1983/85 halfbreed and a beastly 84

Post by trailerparkzero »

Thanks for all your help everyone. The car ran a lot better after I swapped the fuel cutoff solenoids. I still have a bucking issue though. Now it will buck at any rpm in any gear warm or cold. If it let off the gas then reapply it will buck. Like its not getting fuel. This does not happen if I very gently apply the gas. The brakes are still a mystery. I drove it to San louis Obispo with no issues.

On a side note, I found what has been building a web under my car for the past few months. I was inspecting the brake lines one night and I almost kissed it!

I guess I should kill it but she's been on there for a long time. She made the 600 mile journey to SLO and back last weekend. I just kinda curious that if I leave her be how long she will live there.