Defective Weber Carb

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gatemaster
Top Notch Member

Defective Weber Carb

Post by gatemaster »

After years of trying to get rid of a bad off idle hesitation, I found the problem and fixed it. Woo Hoo.
The carb (32/36) was missing the check ball for the accelerator pump. to get to it I had to drill out a plug which turned into a nightmare for awhile, it was very difficult for some reasons. I thought I ruined the carb because at one point I plugged the passage way from the fuel bowl to the accelerator pump during the drilling process and was looking at $92 for a new carb base. Several broken drill bits later I broke through to where the check ball was supposed to be. In an old box of left over carb rebuild parts I found 1 perfect ball bearing. I threaded the drill hole and cut a brass bolt, screwed it in with epoxy. My precious now drives like it was supposed to, no hesitation, just crisp clean acceleration. I have read that I am not the only one who has run into this defect. Passing on the info in case someone else has run into this problem.
Last edited by gatemaster on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An engines potential to produce power is based
mostly on it's cylinder head design.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Defective Weber Carb

Post by Petros »

way to find a difficult problem. It is unfortuante that their quality control is so bad, and it is not an easy thing to check, that this is a regular problem. If you buy it new you could return it, but they would not likely honor a warranty claim after you drilled it out to find the problem.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

you should definitely report your problem to weber. it might help them be more diligent about it in the future.
gatemaster
Top Notch Member

Post by gatemaster »

At the time all I could find out on the web was that it was a jetting issue. I went through all kinds of jet combinations trying to work it out. All the research said the carb was designed for 2.0 liter engine and ours is 1.5, so there supposedly wasn't enough manifold vacuum to signal the carb (32/36) properly. By the time I caught on to what the problem was, the warranty was gone I'm sure.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Did you purchase the Weber new or used? From eBay or an individual?
Did you contact the vendor or Weber?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
gatemaster
Top Notch Member

Post by gatemaster »

I bought it new about 3 years ago and the car was down for repairs the past year. I have not contacted the vendor. I will have to look up which one.

I bought it from here. Kit K 740 http://www.redlineweber.com/carb-kits/auto/toyota/
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Thanks for sharing this, gatemaster, I suspect my car may have the same problem. Is there an easier way to tell if the accel pump ball is there? I don't suppose you took any pics of your fix, did you?
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.