Inner steering rack

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Robinson
My tercel:: 2x red manual 1986 4wd, 1 standard, air con, 1 lift kit, 14inch rims, 4AGE engine. 1 +1987 4wd blue for spares

Inner steering rack

Post by Robinson »

Hi again,
Im currently changing my inner steering rack ends as they have some play which can feel and hear when wobble the front wheels from side to side. I've looked at the thread to remove the inner ball okay with the spaner and shifter and no problem but to remove the end thats connected to lower tie rod end do i just undo small bolt clamp and screw out. I was wondering if i do the marking on threads and count out turns will it hopefully not affect wheel alinment if i put the new one in the same number of turns?
Hope this fixes play as nothing else seems to be loose.
Thanks
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Inner steering rack

Post by Petros »

Usually if you mark the depth the adjuster threads are, you can get it back together without changing the alignment. Also look for play at the steering colunum u-joint. Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

"spanner" - you must be in oz or england.

the manual says you need special tools to remove the inner tie rod but i didn't. i believe i just used a big crescent wrench to remove/install the inner tie rods. true, i didn't have a torque wrench on to make they're at factory spec but as long as it's in there good and snug and you bend the washer to lock them in place, you will be fine.

to disconnect the inner tie rod from the outer tie rod, you are correct in that you just need to undo the clamp where the two meet and then turn the inner tie rod to unthread it from the outer one. i believe one side is reverse thread though so keep that in mind. you can paint the threads of the outer tie rod to use as an indication of where the old one was set but you should check your alignment afterward anyway. it only takes a minute and if it's out, you will save money in tires and gas (aka petrol) by adjusting it then. here's a good how-to guide on home alignments:

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2273
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

You might check this link as well - I have some pix of the tools used on it, and also a link to the AutoZone site for more info.
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... ter#p24331
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Robinson
My tercel:: 2x red manual 1986 4wd, 1 standard, air con, 1 lift kit, 14inch rims, 4AGE engine. 1 +1987 4wd blue for spares

Post by Robinson »

Thanks guys. Pedros is the u joint the two locking u bolts off rack and end of steering? How test for play. I couldnt wobel by hand. The rack brackets look like bushings little split on rubber but no movement. These should be okay ? :)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Yes, those should be fine if there is no play (requires a large screw driver or pry bar to actually test for movement). What I was referring to is the small universal joint on the actual steering column just above where it attaches to the steering rack. there are two pinch bolts that hold in onto splined shafts at both ends. You test for play by either careful examination, or to jamb your finger into the joint and with your other hand rotate the steering column back and forth. You can feel if there is any slope in the joint. keep the joint lubricated btw (use penetrating oil on it regularly), to make it last longer. You can not buy these joints any more.
Robinson

Post by Robinson »

Okay Thanks Pedros, also t
my local store doesnt list the rubber boots for inner rack. Are these racks the same on Ae 86 corola or any other car so i can replace boots with these?
Thanks again.
Robinson

Post by Robinson »

p.S. Mine is manual rack.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I am pretty sure all of the toyota racks are almost the same, MR2, Tercel, corolla, etc.

I bought the a generic replacement boot from Autozone, it was a kit with ties. It has different size "steps" on each end of the mount seats, and you trim it off to the correct size for your car. When you see it it will be obvious how to make it fit. About $10.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

You can get the boots (bellows) at Rockauto.com for under 20.00
last set i got came to 13.00 each (including shipping)
i usually get the parts within 5 days
the manual has a left and right boot
they are different from the power steering which are the same on both ends
they can be difficult to install
i turn the end inside out to install
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Robinson

Post by Robinson »

They ended up getting me some boots under Tercel listing. Around $20 each. As im in oz not sure about getting from Rockauto or other american companies as shipping is alot more to here plus ill have to wait You seem to pay less over there. I rang Toyota and they had same part listed on both sides as well as the Auto shop i ordered from. I might ring again toyota to check as i have mannual rack and the one boot on the passanger side i took off was deffinely a little longer than the drivers side. The Toyota guy cross referenced this part from ohter toyotas and said its the same as a Celieca st186 series 89-93. So not sure if the rack is same or just the boots. No other cars matched he said so not sure if Corolla is same either. Can anyone else confirm the boots are not same on manual rack as dont want to mess around trying to put them on if not going to be right. Thanks
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

for the Tercels
the power steering rack is just a bit over 2" in diameter on both ends where the boot attaches and boots are the same for both sides
the manual steering rack is just a bit under 1.5" in diameter on both ends and the boots are shaped different at the large end. the passenger side has a taper (coned shape) on large end. I was out looking at my car that has manual rack and it looks like you could get away with using either type boot on either end if you had to.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

The universal generic replacement boot will work on both sides of either power steering or manual rack. I have used them, they have different dia ends, like "steps" you trim it off at the right diameter step.
Robinson

Post by Robinson »

Thanks, After speaking with Toyota again he found another listing for Tercel that has two part numbers for boots. 45536-12011 is the longer end boot on passenger side and 45535-12011 is the drivers side boot. So the info about compatability with celica rack probably wasnt correct.
The local auto shop could only managed to get 2 of the bigger styles ($17.50 each) so i used the one i pulled off my drivers side as wasn't split as yet. They unfortunatly also didn't stock the universal cut down type. Got it all put back on and its no play at all now it seems. I will have to check wheel toe next. Slowly coming together. :)
Robinson

Post by Robinson »

Hi again. Ive got everything back together and still found the car drifts to the left (passanger side) when you let go of the wheel. I played around with adjusting toe in /out and did the wheel aliment with the block of wood as recomended but still has the urge to veir left. When trying to sight up the front wheels in reference to the back wheels not sure if my back wheels are also aliitle out. I haven't adjusted camber yet and my steering wheel is all not straight when wheels are. Any sugestions on things to check to get rid of this left pull. Thanks.