Front crank, cam seals replace

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Robinson
My tercel:: 2x red manual 1986 4wd, 1 standard, air con, 1 lift kit, 14inch rims, 4AGE engine. 1 +1987 4wd blue for spares

Front crank, cam seals replace

Post by Robinson »

Hi Im doing a list of repairs on my stock 86 Tercel 4wd for relicence. First job was fix oil leaks with new cam and crank seals. I read much of advice and tips from ohters on this forum so got it sorted okay ( i hope) I think i made a little error as i read to put greese on front of seal before putting in and also Petros said good to stick in with some sealant. I ended up puttting wheel greese around front and put a bit to fill inside gap but put the non hardening sealant on outer insideside lip instead of on outside as now realise the inside shaft spins so cant be stuck on inside. I'm hoping this wont be a problem as non hardening and only used a little but i saw the other old one was leaking from inside seal so thought this might help prevent this. Will see i guess.
Also i live in west oz and the auto 1 i bought the seals off one was dated at 3-2006 so was thinking do these things have used by date? Felt soft enough inside of seal so should be okay. crank seal 401759n $9.95 cam seal 400409n $8.95oz each. They couldn't give me a brand name but stamped Lyo on it. Not sure how they will compare with the qenuine toyota parts as i read others wouldnt use no brand seals again.
As im still a bit of a amature any one have any recomendations on where to get quality seals , bushes etc for these in oz? only know we have the auto 1, repco, supercheap auto, discount auto parts i think coventrys or toyota genuine and ebay . Sounds cheaper in us but the shipping might be expensive. I will be needing lots of bits for have a bit of work on this one and another car next project.
Also I got a new Dayco timming belt 94075 $19oz. How much play is usually recomended. 1/2 inch?
Thanks alot :D
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Front crank, cam seals replace

Post by xirdneh »

i doubt the non-hardening gasket stuff will cause any trouble on the seals

when i do the timing belt i push on the middle of the belt ( driverside)
with moderate pressure the belt moves no more than 3/16"
its good
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Robinson
My tercel:: 2x red manual 1986 4wd, 1 standard, air con, 1 lift kit, 14inch rims, 4AGE engine. 1 +1987 4wd blue for spares

Re: Front crank, cam seals replace

Post by Robinson »

Thanks for feedback xirdneh. Thats good to know.