outside door handle

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ejeffres
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 4wd

outside door handle

Post by ejeffres »

1. How do you remove the outside door handle cover? I want to remove the door handle and don't want to break it.

2. Where can I get an outside door handle linkage retainer clip (blue in color)? Toyota doesn't have any and didn't offer any ideas for a suitable replacement. It’s the linkage attaches the outside handle to the latch.
1987 Tercel SR5 4wd
2012 Chevy Volt
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: outside door handle

Post by dlb »

1) check page 702, aka BO-6, of the FSM. the link is at the top of every page. i just looked at it and it sounds like it should be pretty easy, you just have to remove the door panel first to access all the door latch and lock stuff. i just took apart a bunch of doors to grease and lube all the window stuff, they only take about 10 mins each to disassemble. using a rag to get the window crank off is the hardest part but it just takes persistence.

2) not sure what part you're talking about. can you take a pic and post it here? i likely have one i could mail you but i'm not sure about the colour.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the list!

The handles comes off by removing the two 10 mm bolts from the back (remove inner door panel and you will see them through the access holes). Than you have to somehow get the plastic retainer clip on the linkage push rod to pop out without breaking, and the handle comes right off. When plastic is this old it is brittle and hard to remove without breaking it. Perhaps if you lubricate it with silicone spray before you try to pop it off. this clip is common to other Toyota models, I am surprised the dealer can not get them. The wrecking yard might be your only option.

I made my own by using the plastic tip from and gear oil plastic bottle (I cut off the funnel shape at the correct diameter size and forced the tip into the hole), than used some stainless tie wire to hold the push rod in place.

Good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

As always from Petros, a clever tip (giggle!)!

Go to http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/showA ... rchString= from our Parts Number - OE and AM Forum. The door stuff diagram pops up - go to a number and get a "Stock Code" from scrolling down, then go to your dealer with the numbers. Butler's online site says the bits are still available.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain