Front brake spacers...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Skipperz
My tercel:: 87 DLX Wagon 4wd

Front brake spacers...

Post by Skipperz »

I am in the process of converting my brakes over to the MR2 Powerbooster, rotors and calipers. I know I need to get spacers made to get the rotors correctly positioned.

But I just today completely redid the rear brakes. Can I use a cutting torch, and cut the spacer out of the old brake drums??? Any thoughts if this could work?
87 DLX 4WD Wagon
90 Mazda LE-5 B2200 Cab Plus
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Front brake spacers...

Post by Petros »

It would add a lot of weight, but I suppose it would work. hold on a bit there, list member Synth is going to have a number of these spacers made soon, the more we put in the order the cheaper they get. I need another set and so does a local friend of mine, with you that would make 3 sets plus what synth was going to order. When do you need them?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Skipperz
My tercel:: 87 DLX Wagon 4wd

Post by Skipperz »

I have all the parts except the spacers. I can't put them on til I get them. I want to get this on the road asap before the snow hits.

That being said, I still have to replace the alternator, radiator, and I just discovered, shocks and the rear stabilizer is hanging off on the driver's side. So once I have that done, it is only left for the state inspection and on the road we shall be!

I got the console out and ran them through the dishwasher. Much cleaner! I will be putting them back this week.

But if the cost is going to be reasonable (under $40) count me in anyway.
87 DLX 4WD Wagon
90 Mazda LE-5 B2200 Cab Plus
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

we were hoping for somewhere in the range of $20 for the pair. Who else is in? the more we get the cheaper they are.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

I'd be in for the spacer action, already have the calipers/rotors.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
LittleRed4wd
Top Notch Member

Post by LittleRed4wd »

I'm in! I was just today thinking about when I'll install the calipers I picked up a few month ago.
86 Silver SR5 "Silver Bullet"- 3in lift, 205/75/14s, torque cam, big brakes- Sold
86 Red SR5 "Battle Wagon"- 2.5in lift, 205/75/14s, rebuilt 3ac, chalkboard hood- Totaled
86 White DX "The Gateway Drug"- All stock-Totaled
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

OK, So have we agreed upon a thickness and preferred rotor combo (remember every model uses a bit different offset and diameter for the rotor)?

The plan is to get them laser cut. I have a friend who works at a machine shop and he's convinced me that it's much more cost effective.
I basically just need the spec drawing and the desired thickness and guesstimate of how many pairs we're gonna need.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I this is the correct size according to another list member (from the brake upgrade thread in the repair guilds);

danzo
Highest Ranking Member

Post by danzo »

SynthDesign wrote:preferred rotor combo (remember every model uses a bit different offset and diameter for the rotor)?
Just to be clear - we are all using the rotors from the newer (early '90s) Tercel, right?
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

danzo wrote:
SynthDesign wrote:preferred rotor combo (remember every model uses a bit different offset and diameter for the rotor)?
Just to be clear - we are all using the rotors from the newer (early '90s) Tercel, right?
Danzo and all,
Honestly, I'm not sure the best option is the Tercel rotors. Their diameter is too small, 238mm, 5mm less than the stock non vented units. I've had issues with improper pad wear as well as wobble because the inside diameter is larger and they don't fit hubcentric.

Aw11 MR2 rotors share the 54.1mm ID hub diameter and 243mm outside diameter if you chose the 1st make of the aw11. There's also a large selection of aftermarket vented or slotted rotors.

85 and 86 mr2 rotors with either the corresponding brake calipers or third Gen Tercel vented calipers(I think they are almost identical) seem to be the easiest and best fit. 87 plus AW11 MR2s offer a larger rotor but require the corresponding brake caliper's mounting plates to fit the 258mm rotor as well as 14" or larger wheels.

I'm hoping to have something figure out this week.

BTW, how many pairs are we talking here? I need three and so does Petros. Danzo? Skipperz?
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
danzo
Highest Ranking Member

Post by danzo »

SynthDesign wrote:third Gen Tercel vented calipers
Did that car also have cross-drilled braided brake hoses?!? Sucks that the Terc rotors aren't the best choice, I already have them. Prolly will get the early MR2 rotors like you say. I need just one pair of spacers, thanks for doing this for us.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have measured the off-set of all of the 100mm x4 rotors from various model Toyotas, the third gen Tercel has the lowest off-set and therefore require the smallest spacer (I used 1/8" for a perfect fit). If there is a rotor/caliper combo that allows for a thinner or no spacer, I could not find it (I do not think there is one). This 1/8" spacer allows you to not have to replace the hub studs with longer ones, which would considerably add to the cost and effort required to do the brake upgrade.

I also used the '85 MR2 calipers, which line the pads up perfectly to the 3rd gem Tercel rotors, I assumed the 3rd gen tercel calipers use a similar mount and off-set as the MR2 but I did not check. This combo of 3rd gen Tercel rotor and MR2 calipers give me full contact over the whole pad surface (and in fact used the same pad as the original Tercel brakes). I also used the MR2 flex hose, only because I had a set for a wrecked MR2 that I parted out. So the stainless steel braided flex hose should be available for this conversion if you want it.

I have noticed that there are some models of the 3rd gen Tercel that use and unvented rotor similar to what we have on our Tercel, obviously I am not talking about these brakes, but eveyrone should know that not all 3rd gen Tercels are what I used.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

danzo wrote:
SynthDesign wrote:third Gen Tercel vented calipers
Did that car also have cross-drilled braided brake hoses?!? Sucks that the Terc rotors aren't the best choice, I already have them. Prolly will get the early MR2 rotors like you say. I need just one pair of spacers, thanks for doing this for us.

Sorry Danzo, Vented calipers i.e. for vented rotor vs the early 3rd gen tercels which use a NON-Vented 11mm thick rotor much like the T4WD.

Petros, have you checked your pads yet? In the pic below you can just see where the top of the pad hasn't worn even because the rotor is too small. Anyone else experience this with the tercel 3rd gen rotors?
off pad wear.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
LittleRed4wd
Top Notch Member

Post by LittleRed4wd »

I have vented rotors and calipers from a 92 tercel, are these the ones that don't work well due to the small size? Though they only require a 1/8th inch spacer and therefore work with the stock stud length, right?
86 Silver SR5 "Silver Bullet"- 3in lift, 205/75/14s, torque cam, big brakes- Sold
86 Red SR5 "Battle Wagon"- 2.5in lift, 205/75/14s, rebuilt 3ac, chalkboard hood- Totaled
86 White DX "The Gateway Drug"- All stock-Totaled
danzo
Highest Ranking Member

Post by danzo »

SynthDesign wrote:Sorry Danzo, Vented calipers i.e. for vented rotor vs the early 3rd gen tercels which use a NON-Vented 11mm thick rotor much like the T4WD.
I was just kidding - no "vented calipers" exist. I have the same wide calipers and corresponding rotors that Little Red has, but we would need MR2 rotors and spacers to make it work.