Noise from rear...increasing over time

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
stevlars
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel Wagon SR5 named Old Faithful, mods: added outside temperature sensor

Noise from rear...increasing over time

Post by stevlars »

Hi. I'm new to this website, but not to Tercel 4WD wagons. Driving the 1984 we purchased new. At 274K it is going at about par for its age, judging from other posters on this website. No major engine or trans work done, yet. I realize that with age, things rattle and parts wear out. The problem at hand is a noise coming from the rear that you hear easily inside from 25mph up - definitely sounds like something rotating - that a couple of years ago would come and go, but now is constant at 25mph and above. At 55mph the sound is not much different from at 30mph. I had the rear differential fluid replaced. The noise is about equivalent in 2wd and 4wd. I've looked underneath and can not see anything bent or rubbing. This Tercel has been stored outdoors and indoors for 1-2 years at several times over the last decade whilst we were abroad working. Does this sound like a carrier bearing? Differential? I remember when a wheel bearing went out on it about 20 years ago and that sound was constant and loud, not like this one. Is it possible for a wheel bearing to go slowly? Any insights are welcome. Over the years I've been doing more and more maintenance on the Tercel - sort of like a labor of love. A couple of days ago I replaced the heater core using info from this website. If possible, I'd like to solve this noise problem myself and not take it to a mechanic.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Noise from rear...increasing over time

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Heyyy ! Welcome to the Club! Where are you located?
I think you may have the record for original ownership of the same vehicle (at least among active members here)!

I had a (I think) similar noise for a couple of years. It turned out to be the one of the rear axle bearings (not the diff). Not difficult to replace, but you will need a shop to remove and press on the new retainers and bearings (pretty difficult for the homeowner).
Also get new seals and while you are at it - the gaskets as well. There are OE part numbers in a post I made in the OE Part Numbers section. https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6447
I had not planned to replace the bearings that soon, but when I noticed a puddle of gear oil under the DS wheel...
Might as well bleed the brakes as well, as you will have to move the backing plate out of the way. Also see my thread with a pix of the rust on the side of the axle housing flange. https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=rust

Note that noise could also be from the prop shaft's U-joints and/or the bushing in the transfer case where the shaft inserts. Ditto the almost-surely perished center support bearing for the shaft. I made a thread on this as well, back in August/Sept of 2010.
But - I'd bet the noise of the rear axle bearings.

> > > One way to isolate the noise is to disconnect the prop shaft at its front and rear U-joints and drive in 2WD for a while. No fluid will leak from the trans,so no sweat - I did this for over a week last year while waiting for a reman prop shaft. If you do this, use a good penetrating oil on the 4 front and 4 rear fixing bolts - and be prepared for their PITA removal - they are awkward (at best) to access and easy to round off...
AND - BE CERTAIN TO PAINT MARK THE FRONT AND REAR ATTACHING POINTS BEFORE REMOVING THE SHAFT - THE SHAFT IS BALANCED AND REALLY NEEDS TO GO BACK ON THE SAME AS FROM THE FACTORY - I KNOW...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
turdsmell#2
My tercel:: 88

Post by turdsmell#2 »

I just spent the weekend swapping out rearends because of this sound you speak of. I let mine go way to long and ended up with both my rear tires sitting in puddles of gear oil. I would recommend taking care of your bearings and axle seals ASAP, it happened really quick with mine. It made the noise for about a year and then one day it just went! Good luck!
stevlars
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel Wagon SR5 named Old Faithful, mods: added outside temperature sensor

Post by stevlars »

Thanks for both of your replies. I'll get right on it.

I am in La Grande, Oregon (northeast Oregon on I-84). In my younger days (think a little more irresponsible) I used to drive Old Faithful across streams and even across the Minam River (going fly fishing)- was just a little concerned when water started gushing up over the hood. On the Minam River crossing we didn't stall, but I broke the piece under the car that connects the speedometer, but a good mechanic figured a way to glue it all together and it is still holding about 17 years later. In the winter I put studs all around and go where I need to go to find good backcountry skiing. Been stuck a few times, but the Tercel isn't so heavy making it easier to extricate from places one should not go. More adventures await, but parts are wearing out and I need to take better care of Old Faithful.
stevlars

Post by stevlars »

A bit on ownership of Old Faithful: We purchased her new and drove her about 155k. We were moving abroad so gave her to a friend. Friend drove Old Faithful about 60k and then gave her to some friends and they drove Old Faithful about 30k. Apparently, these folks were thinking of taking Old Faithful to the wrecking yard in 2002 when my wife was coming back to the States and needed a vehicle and so we purchased Old Faithful from our friend's friends and saved her from a premature death at the wrecking yard. So, I can't claim continuous ownership. Actually, I can't even claim current ownership as the title is in my wife's name and she is very protective of Old Faithful.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Hey fellow oregonian! I'm in Corvallis.

I have a rear bearing go out. I replaced it myself...dont do that. It was WAY too much work. Eventually had to use a torch to cut the bearings off and a lot of muscle to get the new ones on.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the list!

Sounds like one of the rear axle bearings. The diff carrier bearing can go out, but that seems to me pretty rare. Replacing the rear axles bearings is pretty easy, but once you get the axle out take it a shop and have them press off the old bearing and press on the new one. An alternative which I have done is to go to a wrecking yard and get the whole axle with the bearing already on it. If the bearing rotates smooth and quiet, it is good. when it bad you can feel roughness in it when you turn it by hand.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
stevlars

Post by stevlars »

I ended up having a mechanic do the noise repair. Turned out to be the right rear wheel bearing. Cost me $160 for everything. He showed me the shot bearing. The car runs a lot quieter now. I also think I've found a new mechanic I can trust to help keep the Tercel going beyond the little things I can do. I had him check valve adjustment ($90) and he said that two were a little loose. Beyond that, he said the motor seemed strong.

Today I'm replacing the rubber shift lever boot on the transmission housing. The original/old one was torn.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

While you have the boot off - you might remove the lid and lever and check the inside of the box - if the boot has perished, there is a good chance the rods are rusty and perhaps the bushing is shot as well. There are some threads on this.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
stevlars

Post by stevlars »

Thanks for the advice. Removed the shift lever. No rust and looked pretty clean. I did replace the bushing and the boot and regreased. Shifts very nice now.