The car is on hold.......

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Re: The car is on hold.......

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

It looks as if I could also loosen the ends of the bar a little to help line everything up. My problem is where the bar attaches to the main engine support beam.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

this is a common problem. be careful not to strip the retaining nut in the cross member or you'll be making more work for yourself. this job is always a PITA but i've found the best way is to put the straps on the ends, put the ends through the receiving holes in the control arms and LOOSELY put the bushings, washers, and locking nuts back on (don't snug them up yet, that comes after), then use a jack to raise the bar up to the cross member. you can raise and lower the jack a bit until you get it just right and can then thread the bolts in. again, do it by hand initially so as not to strip the nuts. this job is frustrating but persistence and caution will pay off.

how are you bushings and metal collars, btw?
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

I got the sway bar done and the side brace from the engine to the transmission is on. Just a couple more things to bolt up and it's done. Unfortunatly it has started to rain so the last thing I did was put oil in it. The bushings and braces look fine. I did almost strip out a couple of bolt holes in the engine cross beam but I have a tread cutter so I was able to clean them up and get the bolts in them. Another hour or two and she will be back together. I wonder is she will start.