how to remove headliner?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

how to remove headliner?

Post by dlb »

has anyone done this? i see ron b. did it when he restored his terc but can't find it in the FSM or using the search here on the forum. the new terc stinks like death, cigarettes, and sweat so i plan on removing the seats, carpets, door panels, and headliner so i can thoroughly clean them.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Re: how to remove headliner?

Post by Tercel__jon »

After you get all the trim off and everything un done, I THINK it should fall right down. Might have to give it a tug but Im not sure. Ill definitely be watching this.
So_Powerful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd

Post by So_Powerful »

Unscrew the lights and trim screws at the hatch. Also screws in molding above rear windows. Other trim just slides off. My 85 smelled really bad too. I found out after I bought it mice had taken up living in the vents and between the headliner and roof. When I pulled the headliner down a shower of mouse terds followed. Had to scrub that thing with bleach and other things to get the smell out of it.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

So yeah, pull all the bits, oh shit handles a-pillar, b pillar and c pillar trim and the light brackets, the plastic plugs that hold it up in back..

There's also 3 clips on each side along the sides. They pop out. I destroyed every one extracting my head liner.

Toyota replacement clip part # 63395-12020
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

thanks guys, particularly for the clip part #. i def foresee a bunch of broken clips in my near future.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

These clips can be reused if you manage to get them out without breaking them. the same is true with plugs out in the middle, use two putty knifes behind them, one on each side, and carefully pull/work them straight down. They are easy to break off, but with careful tugging, wiggling and working them down you can recover them so they are reusable.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

Good luck getting the smell of death out of the new terc, DLB. I need to do this someday too. The PO of the Terjunken was a smoker so there is a yellow-ish haze on everything!

I'm planning on using a bleach solution (maybe a ratio of ~2:10?). Let us know what you end up going with...
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

There are upholstery cleaners specially made to remove smoke oders, I would try that before I tried bleach. Soak it in soapy water, rub with soft brush or sponge, and vacuum out with a wet/dry shop vac. Repeat several times should clean it up. Ron B. actually removed his head liner to clean, but I do not think that is necessary. He had to buy a lot of the clips from Toyota to get it back in. You can not get it into a washing machine so I see no reason to remove it, clean it in place.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i haven't gotten to this yet but i suppose i could find some sort of spray n' vacuum cleaner and clean the headliner in place. when i get to it i will decide but right now i've got my hands full with the VW and ron (the tercel, not the board member).

and FYI, so far--no plastic clips or plugs have been broken in this project! i'm a little pleased with myself about that.
deejay1272
Top Notch Member

Post by deejay1272 »

Hey DLB - any progress on the head liner yet? I was tentatively planning to remove mine tonight until I re-read Petros' post about cleaning it in place. Any wisdom to share on this?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

yeah, i wound up mixing carpet cleaner with water in a spray bottle and using that to soak the headliner in place. then i used a small carpet cleaner (this one, specifically: http://www.bissell.com/little-green-deep-cleaner/) to suck all the crap up. i'm sure it would have been more thorough to remove it but i didn't want to bother with snapping all the clips and whatnot, and this worked pretty well!
deejay1272
Top Notch Member

Post by deejay1272 »

I wound up using a mixture of Oxiclean and water, sprayed it on thick like, waited a bit, then rubbed dry with a towel (did this all in place as you did). Got lots of nasty dirt off of the headliner, but it still has general haze of muck to it. I'll take another look in a day or so when it dries out and the darker damp"color" fades out to reveal the true color of the finished product. I'll probably need to repeat this multiple times unless I can get my hands on a wet-vac like that Bissell that you used (unlikely).

Also, I sprayed Fabreze all over the interior about 2 days ago. Opened the car doors for the first time since and I was happy to notice that the years of dust, dirt, death and dog smells have mostly vanished. Now I can only describe the smell of the interior as "car." I'm happy with that.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

IT helps a lot of if you remove the front and back seats (only takes a few min, 4-14mm bolts each up front and two clips on the rear seat), and clean the whole carpet and under the rear seat area. Also helps to put the seats out in direct sunlight (sunlight kills bacteria). You can use any wet and dry shop vac to suck the water out of the fabric headliner. After your Oxiclean treatment, soak it with water and vacuum it out, repeat, to get the soap residue out.
North of 64
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: "Bones" 87 SR5 4wd wagon

Post by North of 64 »

Hey All, It has been many months. I'm really happy but not surprised to find the info i need to remove the entire headliner, trim, visor, seat belt and uprights from my parts car. It's a very mild day here at -4C, the perfect temp to trudge through the snow to do this removal. Thanks again for the help! Still have the 3 Tercels, just have to repair the damage a sled dog did to the interior of my original 87.
e
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well - I daresay not many of us can claim damage by a sled dog...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain