Let's just call this a hypothetical question:

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Let's just call this a hypothetical question:

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

What would happen if some idiot put ATF fluid into the power steering filler by mistake? :oops:
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Re: Let's just call this a hypothetical question:

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Automatic Transmission Fluid is what these Toyota's use and that's what is specified in the Owner's Manual.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Just make sure it is DEXRON or DEXRON-II and not Type F.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Whew...ok, thanks.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Just make sure it is DEXRON or DEXRON-II and not Type F.
Tom M.
Don't forget about type A. Never heard of it until a station sold some to my cousin for her 1997 Accord last year. Type A is pretty much the first ATF and I'm pretty sure doesn't pass for Honda use. Not sure why any gas station would have it in stock.

What did Toyota use for factory fill? None of mine have had anything that looks like ATF. Surprisingly they all have had new looking PS fluid in them. It smells more like a hydraulic fluid than atf too.

Being atf is spec'd, Redline D6 might be a good choice. It's a low viscosity atf that could provide less assist for more road feel and might even reduce frictional losses from having to pump a lighter fluid.

Just keep the atf away from the brake reservoir! I've seen it more than once.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I didn't forget about Type A. Frankly, I did not think it was still produced.
I think it went back to the early days (1940s) of ATs. Didn't it contain whale oil,not tolerated by (among other groups) the heat of '50s and later transmisssions?
My job after collitch was at American Can Co here in STL, and one of my responsibilities was scheduling production and procurement for our two quart oil can lines (fibre and steel). While I left in '73, I don't think in my tenure we ever ran any Type A cans - and we turned out millions of oil/ATF cans.
Having never owned an AT car, the only times I've looked for ATF has been when I needed it for various PS reservoirs, and its always been straight for the DEXRON rack.
Tom M.

Note to Bb M - I note you did not specify the gender of the 'idiot"... :lol:
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Bluebelles Mom wrote:What would happen if some idiot put ATF fluid into the power steering filler by mistake? :oops:

I like that statement. the answer: nothing! so it could have been an idiot, or a genious. do you know it was actually an idiot that used ATF, or are you just assuming it was based on the other stupid things we found on your car when we worked her over last month?

BTW, they make a power steering fluid sold in pint cans, which I presume is just like ATF only without the additives. ATF is usually cheaper because you buy it by the quart.

Has Bluebelle been running good and behaving herself?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Petros wrote:
Bluebelles Mom wrote:What would happen if some idiot put ATF fluid into the power steering filler by mistake? :oops:

I like that statement. the answer: nothing! so it could have been an idiot, or a genious. do you know it was actually an idiot that used ATF, or are you just assuming it was based on the other stupid things we found on your car when we worked her over last month?

BTW, they make a power steering fluid sold in pint cans, which I presume is just like ATF only without the additives. ATF is usually cheaper because you buy it by the quart.

Has Bluebelle been running good and behaving herself?
BB has started gushing oil and I can't find where it is coming from. The plan was to get the half shafts and put them in next week and have a look around while the car was on the hoist. I am hoping the oil pan gasket failed or something easy. If it is the rear main I don't know what I am going to do. I am feeling a bit down about the whole thing right now. I thought she would be good to go for at least a little while.

Oh...and the idiot who put the ATF in was me. Long story, I haven't been at my best for a few weeks.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

you actually DON'T want the oil leak to be from the oil pan gasket because it's a b*tch to replace and requires either pulling the engine or dropping the crossmember. spray the engine down with some gunk cleaner (found in any automotive department), let it sit a few minutes, and then spray it down hard with a hose, being careful not to thoroughly soak the ignition coil. the car may run rough for a little while afterwards do to water being in places it shouldn't but it will clear up once the engine warms up. after driving it for a bit you should be able to see where the leaks are originating from.

don't feel down about it, BBM. it's an old car that has probably been neglected so there's some catch-up to do on maintenance but every thing you do just brings you one step closer to having it in a good condition that will likely last you a very long time. i had a huge long list of stuff to do on my car to get it in the shape i wanted. it was definitely daunting at times but i would just focus on one problem at a time, see it through, and then look at the list and pick the next one to tackle. just work through it systematically and be proud of each individual accomplishment. you (and BB) will get there.
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

davidlucasbarnes wrote:you actually DON'T want the oil leak to be from the oil pan gasket because it's a b*tch to replace and requires either pulling the engine or dropping the crossmember. spray the engine down with some gunk cleaner (found in any automotive department), let it sit a few minutes, and then spray it down hard with a hose, being careful not to thoroughly soak the ignition coil. the car may run rough for a little while afterwards do to water being in places it shouldn't but it will clear up once the engine warms up. after driving it for a bit you should be able to see where the leaks are originating from.

don't feel down about it, BBM. it's an old car that has probably been neglected so there's some catch-up to do on maintenance but every thing you do just brings you one step closer to having it in a good condition that will likely last you a very long time. i had a huge long list of stuff to do on my car to get it in the shape i wanted. it was definitely daunting at times but i would just focus on one problem at a time, see it through, and then look at the list and pick the next one to tackle. just work through it systematically and be proud of each individual accomplishment. you (and BB) will get there.
It is going to take a lot of degreaser, but I guess that is the logical next step. I assume the engine would have to be pulled (again) if it is the rear main that needs replacing. I am wondering if a JDM engine might be an option depending on how much they cost. I am just not sure what to do about this right now.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Bluebelles Mom wrote:It is going to take a lot of degreaser, but I guess that is the logical next step. I assume the engine would have to be pulled (again) if it is the rear main that needs replacing. I am wondering if a JDM engine might be an option depending on how much they cost. I am just not sure what to do about this right now.
that depends on how bad it's leaking right now. does it drip all the time, regardless of whether it's running? is it a steady, constant leak? even small oil leaks will look disastrous. i need to do my front seal sometime, it's been leaking since i put the 4A in. when i park it, it only leaves a few drops but it trickles down and runs back underneath the engine and gets over everything...it looks like hell but i know it's not that bad so it's not been a high priority. if your leak is like that, don't sweat it. if it is pretty steady and constant i would avoid driving it unnecessarily and keep oil in the car when you do drive it, and figure out which route you want to go. if the rest of the engine is fine, a new one isn't necessary. pulling the engine sucks but it can be done. disconnect and remove everything, use a hoist to pull the engine up, replace the seal, put it back in and hook everything back up. do you know someone with a garage and a hoist you could borrow?
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

It doesn't seem to leak when parked, only when running and there are constant drips then. I have started putting in over a qt a day for just short hops to the stores. I will hold off from thinking the worst until I can figure out where the oil is coming from.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

front seal, either the cam or the crank front seal is not too bad of a job. Rear is a major job, I would try the sealant additives before I pull the engine or the trans to replace the rear seal. The seals are not expensive, but are a lot of work.

I doubt the pan is leaking, we sealed that up when we check the bearings when we had the engine out. We could have messed that up, but I doubt it. And usually a fast leak like that if from one of the seals, the turning parts act like a pump.

Try to isolate where it is coming from and we can walk you through the fix.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

could also be the oil pressure sender- located below and just behind the altenator. it's a quick and cheap fix and will make an hellacious oil lesk with the engine running. good luck, and don't loose heart.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Or it could even be a loose oil filter. I did that once, the fix is easiest yet, just tighten it by hand!