Let's just call this a hypothetical question:

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Re: Let's just call this a hypothetical question:

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Petros wrote:front seal, either the cam or the crank front seal is not too bad of a job. Rear is a major job, I would try the sealant additives before I pull the engine or the trans to replace the rear seal. The seals are not expensive, but are a lot of work.

I doubt the pan is leaking, we sealed that up when we check the bearings when we had the engine out. We could have messed that up, but I doubt it. And usually a fast leak like that if from one of the seals, the turning parts act like a pump.

Try to isolate where it is coming from and we can walk you through the fix.
I have tried the sealant additives, at this point I am not sure it is staying in long enough to do any good. But I will add some more if you think it will help. I will give the engine a really good wash in the next day or so. I tweaked my back a couple of days ago and am currently taking it easy and enjoying the meds.
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

rer233 wrote:could also be the oil pressure sender- located below and just behind the altenator. it's a quick and cheap fix and will make an hellacious oil lesk with the engine running. good luck, and don't loose heart.
Ok, another area to look at once the engine is cleaned up. Thanks.
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

We can rule out the oil filter...it's good and tight. But I will keep all suggestions in mind when I start hunting for the leak.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Petros wrote:Or it could even be a loose oil filter. I did that once, the fix is easiest yet, just tighten it by hand!
I feel like you're mocking me Petros.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Not mocking, just pointing out a dumb error that anyone is capable of doing. In one case I had the rubber gasket slip out of the groove in the oil filter when I was tightening it, leak like it had no gasket at all! I do not know how that happened, but if you do this kind of thing often enough, sooner or later you will make a dumb error, and than they get worse from there. Ask Splatterdog, he will have stories he will not want to share with anyone.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Nothing to hide here. I keep the goof ups to a minimum. When I don't, I fix it on my dime. I know it's a bit of an oxymoron, but I'm an honest mechanic.

As far as oil filters, never left one loose or double gasketed. I did forget to put one back on way back when I was Luber Goober. Boy will that make a mess just in the time it takes to shut it off! I don't think it fazed that 75 Nova much...

All my best stories involve co workers. A real gong show sometimes. It's no wonder auto mech's have such a bad rap. Since venturing out on my own I have shook off tons of guilt by association. No hosers or hacks in my shop!

Back on topic-the valve cover gasket can also be a mostly running engine type leak. At any rate, an oil leak shouldn't be too hard to diagnose on a 3AC.