replace other parts when replacing tranny?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
baker2121
My tercel:: 85 4WD AT

replace other parts when replacing tranny?

Post by baker2121 »

Hi Everyone,

We're having the automatic transmission replaced in our 85 4WD wagon in the new year. Would you recommend replacing anything else while we're having this done? I'm not doing the work as I know very little about mechanics (though I am learning), but if there is anything you'd recommend replacing while that is being done I'd really appreciate any advice. Our starter has a hot spot so that's being done....belts, pumps, valves? The mechanic isn't charging us additional labor for swapping parts like the starter.

Thanks so much!

Chris
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: replace other parts when replacing tranny?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

If not already done - timing belt and tensioner, water pump, belts, front and rear seals, have the radiator "boiled out," backflush the heater core, and remove the oil pan (sump) and clean it out. Oil pump? I'd also give the engine bay a cleaning with a pressure washer. If you have AC and it is non-operative, might as well remove that stuff - I did.
Let us know how it goes!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

The rear main crankshaft seal would be a bare minimum. All new oil seals on the ingoing tranny should be a given.
baker2121
My tercel:: 85 4WD AT

Post by baker2121 »

Thanks guys!
vwrobus
My tercel:: 1984 tercel 4wd SR5 wagon

Post by vwrobus »

I am replacing my 6 speed transaxle with a junkyard transaxle with 169.00 miles. I replaced the rear main seal on the engine (easy), new clutch disc/ pressure plate, surfaced the flywheel by wet sanding it on a plate of glass, left the orginal bearing in the flywheel and the throw out bearing per advice given here (both felt great with pressure applied) and I am installing the transaxle in two parts from underneath the car. (I would pull the engine/trans unit if I ever need to do this again.. Alot of time on your back going up and down.... up and down... over and over! I replaced the input seal and the output seal of the transaxle. The output was easy with the help of a body work slide hammer but the input required seperation of dif/trans. (I hope putting it back together will be easier this way per reading advice on this great forum) I replaced both drive axle input seals as well. I will install the trans in 5th gear as well, again advice given here. I plan on using a big dimater bicycle tube to create a new boot for the shifter lever after adding half a cup of trans oil in the shfiter area. Zipties to clamp both ends. It should work or it can be addressed after the Beast is back together for the interior. I cleaned the inside of the trans as best I could and I removed the diff cover an cleaned that out. I plan on replacing the trans without the input shaft in per advice given here. The flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate and bellhousing/diff went together great. Tomorrow I hope to get in the rest of it! Thanks in much to the advice given here!! Long Live the Tercel!