Tercel Needs Repair

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

Yeah, the transmission doesn't seem like it'll last much longer. Much to my surprise (well, not really) my dad has never serviced the trasmission. Nope, not once. It's ran on the same fluid for 212,000 miles. It's almost black now!!! Not exactly sure what i'm going to do. Hopefully we can deal with the transmission slips for now - when your at a full stop (or close to it) and you give it a bit of gas, it revvs up a bit n then shifts in gear. Might hafta rebuild the tranny. But i can't really do much with the car at the moment. Just started a new job, so i use it every day to take back and forth with me, and my dad works nights so he takes it from 10pm - 8 am.

What i'm going to try to do is save up enough money to get myself a newer toyota with AC (we need it here in FL in the summer, it hits 100+). Probably a corolla or camry. This way me and my dad can use it as our daily. And then i can save up enough money to take the tercel to the shop, and fix it up mechanically. Need to fix the transmission, oil leak, engine idle (stalls when cold but after a mile or two it runs fine), smoky start which migh be caused by the oil leak (lol, everytime i run it cold the ppl behind me get a big puff of smoke, talk about bad emissions!), and anything else that could possibly be wrong with it. And acceleration is like, really really slow lol. When in 3rd gear and you tap it, it tachs out, but when you start up from a stop, it slowly creeps up to 40. I don't want it to be fast, but need better acceleration. The fan died a month or so ago also, so it only vents air through the front passenger vents, which is a bad thing when the front window fogs up and it doesn't wanna defrost.

And after all the mechanical repairs are done....i'm going to take it to an auto body shop. It's starting to get rust spots here and there, which is usual for a car that's lasted this long! My family originally bought the car in Maine, about a year after i was born. And up there in the winter, there's a ton of salt on the road, so the windshield is scratched up with a bunch of tiny dots. Hard to see in the sunlight. The body is also scratched all around, usual wear and tear, paint is starting to come off too. So yea, take it to the body shop, replace the windshield (or fix it up if they can). The windows are also very hard to roll up and down, the auto repair shop can probably fix it. If not then i'll just leave the windows rolled up permanently lol. I'll probably tint the windows too...i hate when people stop what they're doing and stare at me....which would be fine because everyday that car drives is a testament to toyota's excellence....but....don't stare at me stare at the car lol....

The interior is starting to lose ground also. Carpeting is used and worn, starting to come off. Plastic on the dash (mainly where the front speaker mounts are and the fan vents on the sides) are starting to fall apart. Scratches on the dash are showing too. Mainly because my dad is too busy to take care of my 4wd!! Ah well. I'm hoping that i can either repair and clean the carpeting or replace it with new carpeting. And the dash and plastic parts of the car could use some repainting with interior dash spray paint, and some repairing of the scratches. Oh yeah, the cup holder is broken too!! It won't go back in that lil thing!! I'm thinking of just taking it out lol, since i never really use it much. Or maybe i can fix it! Anyway, i'll probably paint the inside interior black, with new seat covers and such. :rolleyes:

Whew!! Lots of work lots of work. Probably up to thousands of dollars worth of repair and addons so far. I better start saving!! And that isn't the end of it either...

We can't forget the audio!! The car was made to facilitate 2 small insufficient speakers in the front. Infact, i replaced one of them with a walmart speaker. We still had the original car speaker in there!! It has a whole 18W of power!!! :) Hey, even the speakers last forever. Currently i have a power convertor hooked up to the Cig lighter, which is hooked up to a power strip, which is hooked up to my boston computer speaker system (1 sub, 2 satellites), and my cd ac adapter is also hooked up to the power strip. The sub is located right behind my front seat, and the satelites are in the front and center openings where you can put things. It's only an 8 inch sub, and it distorts easily, but it sure beats the 36 watts or so coming from the original toyota radio am/fm cass receiver that still lies there. So i'm going to need to figure out a way to custom install some amps, some sub boxes in the back (alrdy made subs in boxes with neons would look nice). Gotta hook the amps to the battery and such. Hmm, i might need a performance alternator, well maybe not. I'm not going to blast the music loud enough to make me deaf. We'll see.

Hey, you know on the 93-97 corollas they have blue bumper lights...i wonder if they'll fit on a tercel! We could probably get em to fit somehow....and those Xenon headlamps look really sweet, i wanna add those too!! So many possibilities, so little time. My list will just keep going and going....

I hope this might inspire some of you to do the same thing to your 4WD's. There are few and far between that are in decent working condition so take care of yours!! And if you have any suggestions let me know! I love to hear from you guys!

:P
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

So you have an automatic? Get rid of that and put a manual in. The automatics are just awful. For doing the work, I hope you can learn from the rest of the group here and start doing it yourself. That's the only way that it's practical to keep and older car and especially restore one. The newer Corolla bumper lenses don't fit but the 91 Camry has clear bumper lenses that fit perfectly. There are also GTS clear headlight covers for the 87-88 wagon, if you're into that sort of thing.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Dido on that Auto-Trans. my 6-spd Man. is o-so-cool! My carb also stalls(once every trip) when its cold,I just figured there was a vacume leak somewhere.A good way to start fixing-up body parts is the junk yard.Tercel wagons are not in big demand so once you find one(at one of those budgit self-serve places),you can do a "body-transplant" and have your Tercel looking newer for a fairly low cost.
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

true true, need to find a junkyard around here somewhere
aussie 4x4

Post by aussie 4x4 »

U say that your 87 4wd has cup holders? is this a standard option. I am very interested. can anyone confirm this for me? where do they go? how can i get one?
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The cupholders were optional on the 87-88 front wheel drives and the 4WD with automatic. The 4WD with manual didn't have them because the shifter console is in the way. To get the cupholders in they extended the radio mounting part in the middle of the dash downwards, and if you look on your car you'll notice that it's just about hitting the shifter console where it is. You would have to modify the console to put the cupholder in. Automatics and front wheel drives have the shifter further back. You could also get the cup holder and mount it in one of the radio slots if you're not using both of them, this would require some drilling.
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

my cupholder keeps breaking..lol, 2nd time i've fixed it now. Can i move the radio up more? It's hard to change channels on the radio when it's so low and far away. On all newer car models the radio is higher (smart)
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Ice,I would find-out what shape and how much those seats are that Brandons selling.The SR5 Bucket-Seats are nice. :)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'm thinking of making one out of wood. Would require (2) 3/4" boards, one with a hole or two in it and one under to hold each cup's weight.

Would use 2 end pieces to hold it together.

Could screw it to the right side of the trans tunnel.

What they have in the parts store are the big ones for the tunnel or the flimsy ones that hang on the AC openings. P L A S T I C.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

ah well, who needs cup holders anyway? The car's g-forces (knowing how i drive) will probably make the cup fall out and make a big big mess :) You know, i was thinking of just putting on some carpet only on the high traffic areas because those are the only places it's really worn. Or maybe get some of those carbon fiber plates to put down there... :lol:
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I too,Have pondered that timeless question "Mine Kingdom for a Cupholder?" <_< . My solution was to screw one of those lightweight($1.98),single-cup holders,onto the side(driver)of the shifter-cady,Makeing shur it "pushed-down" onto the carpeted well-area for added suport.I put it right at the end of my seat-run,so its close-at-hand,and so far,has worked well.Sometimes I bump it with my leg,but not much,or offten.So for the price well worth-it. :) Plastic can be Your Friend :)