Converting a T4WD to RWD

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Converting a T4WD to RWD

Post by shogun »

if i remember correctly, i tried this years ago, it was about an inch and a half with the 3ac engine and it doesnt sit that much lower about 1cm, but really cant remember exact numbers
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

thank you my dear, I just copy and print on paper so i will try that in few days later .
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

gee whiz, no problem 'honey.'
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Now...you girls behave! :mrgreen:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

A little bit of drool factor
http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread. ... post273008
supra rear end.jpg
I think this would go in fine! :D

Also, Petros, he's got a rwd engine if you still need parts or spares for your 4AGE swap
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Man I tell you after all the snow the last few days, than ice and now sloppy wet snow ON TOP of the ice, I am starting to really want an LSD rear end. With an LSD rear end, studded snow tires, and the 4age, there will be nothing that stops my Tercel. I had walk home up that steep hill 3 times, on the ice, since Wednesday. I am getting tired of it.

Another list member showed me picture a Mazda RX7 LSD rear end (the 3rd member) and darn does that not look like it would bolt into the Toyota axle. It makes me wonder if the whole RX7 rear axle would bolt into the Tercel. They are plentiful, very strong, lots of performance parts available and some models came stock with an LSD rear end. They are also about the right width I would suspect. So should be cheaper than finding an AE86 rear axle. Does anyone know anything about the early RX7 rear axle?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

I got an 83 sitting in my garage. I swapped out the rear end to an 85 GSL-SE for the LSD diff and rear discs. I think I still have the 83 rear end behind the house. When the snows gone, I can dig it out for you guys to ponder.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

ill go and check the shop out we still have a couple of things from our rotary days
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by toughtercel »

ImageImageImage

I removed those front axel hubs and out them on the lathe and machined the back cup off. So now you can see that it is perfectly flush, and will balence perfectly instead of cutting with a hack saw. I did this because it is a high steel.
Thanks
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

@toughtercel,
Well that turned out kinda easy. Much simpler than modifying the hubs.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by toughtercel »

Thanks Synth, good thing the knuckle on lathe machine can graps on between the splines and larger shinny part, Once turn on the lathe, not one bit of whobbling, At first kind of hard because I lathe to close to round spot ,had to reset the knuckle few time to avoid "whobbling", the second hub, learn the hard way ,to lathe at the flat area till one of the cup or hub remove then continue lathe toward the inside to near the flatness.
kind of hard to explain in english , better "the you tube" I'm sure any one got an idea.
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by toughtercel »

AAHHHH , what a nice song I am listen to now " Private Investitgations " of "DIRE STRAITS & Mark Knopfler
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

I know this is any old thread, but was this idea/project taken any further, or was it just abandoned? haha
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

kinda like my new project, from fwd to rear wheel drive. he even took the springs off the rear struts and mounted them to the rear end,lots of surface rust from sitting for 15 years but nothing major
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I never cared for leaf springs, every truck or vehicle that I ever had them on would always act quirky in the corners, particularly when applying power at the same time (the more power the more sensitive it was).

The leaf springs wind up when you apply power and want to snap back as soon as you lift your foot off the throttle, so so bad in a straight line, but in a turn it can get really scary. Leaf springs also tend to flex a lot laterally on a side hill or in a high speed turn, making matters worse. I would much rather have a 4 bar linage suspension with a panhard (lateral) rod. Of course IRS would be best, but adds a lot of weight and complexity.

As far as I am concerned, leaf springs are the worst way to attach an axle to the chassis, very old and obsolete way to mount an axle. It is simple and cheap is the only redeeming value.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)