TRANNY FLUSH AND FILL

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Krunk
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 6 speed

TRANNY FLUSH AND FILL

Post by Krunk »

So, someone mentioned warming up the gear oil before putting it in the trans....can I put it in the microwave? I figured I might as well really heat it up and just pour it in...only problem I see is that it might separate? Anyways, the tranny takes 4.1Q? lucas 90/140 gear oil is 18$ a Quart down the street....

I also picked up 3 quarts of some random 85/140 gear oil, and 2 quarts of lucas 85/140 as well as a quart of lucas manual tranny treatment. should give me enough to fill everything.... still no answer if I can put it in microwave? guess ill try 5 second intervals till it blows up or gets hot enough. all the gear oil I got comes IN these nice handy squeezer bottles maybe I can just squeeze it in?

SOMEONE POST PICTURES OF THE WRENCH THEY MADE FOR THE BOLTS?????????
I told my wife the other day "Men will always buy a car/truck, spend more money on it then its worth(loving every minute of it) and then sell it for less then they spent on it, ITS WHAT WE DO!" There is nothing you can do.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: TRANNY FLUSH AND FILL

Post by takza »

That's some heavy oil...might heat up some water in a large pan and let heat the bottles that way? After draining it using the 3 drains...I'd fill it from the filler plug next to the front axle with the front on ramps...and use the right wrench to avoid rounding it off...also best to loosen it first...before draining?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=283

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1719
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Krunk wrote:SOMEONE POST PICTURES OF THE WRENCH THEY MADE FOR THE BOLTS?????????
I'd ask if you've done a Search, as several threads exist on this specific topic, but...
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... loj#p29548
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... loj#p17376
"Squeezing" the oil in will be an exercise in frustration as well as a mess. Just break down and spend $6 for the hand pumps (whether for quart or gallon jugs); they work well. Of course, I don't think they are designed for 140 wt oil...
Perhaps I missed it - but what is your reason for using that weight? Toy only recommends 90 wt at max.
I would suggest a Search for filling procedures - there are a number of them.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

I use Redline 75-90wt NS full synth gear oil. Shifts great. NS means no friction modifiers for limited slip differentials. Using any Redline gear oil other than the 75-90w NS or the 75-140wt NS will cause syncro malfunction due to the friction modifiers.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7

Gear oil Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_oil

So, if you go with a full synth gear oil from another manufacturer, make sure that they contain no friction modifiers for limited slip applications. I have also heard very good reports about this product : SEVERE GEAR® Synthetic Extreme Pressure (EP) Lubricant 75W-90 from Amsoil. The fact that they sell a friction modifier for eliminating chatter in limited slip diffs make me think that it also may be a good choice for the t4wd trans. However, I'd talk to their tech support folks before using it.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of flushing a transaxle assy that contains a hypoid gear set with ATF. I just changed to a regular dino gear oil for 4k miles or so & then switched to the Redline NS. Nothing that does not meet the GL-5 gear oil specs goes into anything I own that has a hypoid gear set in it. In this case the term hypoid gear set refers to the ring and pinion gears in the differentials. Hypoid gears have very high shearing loads applied to them by their inherent design that has a large amount of wiping action across the gear contact areas of the ring and pinion set. Without the requisite anti-scuffing agents in the gear oil (GL-5 minimum) the gear oil film may be breached and the ring and pinion set can be ruined.
Last edited by 4wdchico on Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Krunk
Advanced Member

Post by Krunk »

WOW, this is way different info then I previously read on the forums, I decided to not do the flush or the refill, tranny shifts and runs fine and I got plenty of clutch pedal left.
I told my wife the other day "Men will always buy a car/truck, spend more money on it then its worth(loving every minute of it) and then sell it for less then they spent on it, ITS WHAT WE DO!" There is nothing you can do.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If you don't know the history of the car...I'd drain and refill the trans...might not have been done in a long time.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

Krunk wrote:WOW, this is way different info then I previously read on the forums, I decided to not do the flush or the refill, tranny shifts and runs fine and I got plenty of clutch pedal left.
I give up.
Last edited by 4wdchico on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

You must at least check it. My 84 seemed fine and dandy when I first got it. It had metal gravy in it however. I was ashamed of myself for driving it a few days before changing it.
Krunk
Advanced Member

Post by Krunk »

well, I have heard to flush with aft or not to flush at all, I have heard to use 40% synthetic 85/140 and 60% dino 85/140 mixed, I have heard to use full dino 85/140, I have heard to use synthetic 85/140, I have heard to use the same fluids a ton of different ways. If someone can give me a sure answer I would gladly change fluid. I was really frustrated to buy $100 of tranny fluid and have to take it back cause someone said it was wrong. So, where should I get this fluid from? I have not seen this tufoil additive on the shelves ever, we have lucus and some non name brand around here, lucus is $18 a Quart. the other stuff is $5 a quart, it comes in 140 and 95 weight.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well - there is always what the manufacturer recommends...
Seriously, though - car guys are car guys, whether T4WDs or Mustangs or (fill in the blank); there are always opinions. What is sauce for the goose is not always sauce for the gander - even with usage in similar environments.
In the meantime...remove the filler plugs, remove the drain plugs (in that order), drain the oil and refill with at least what the manufacturer recommends.
Oh, yes - read the notes on tools and procedures.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Krunk
Advanced Member

Post by Krunk »

I took a look at the bolts, they are not dirty even, they look clean and simple enough to remove, as soon as I go back and buy new fluid I will install some. If any one would be so kind as to post a picture of this modified wrench I would be forever gratefull
Barto
Top Notch Member

Post by Barto »

This is my modified wrench :wink:
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http ... 29,r:8,s:0
P.S. you still have not answered why you are using such heavy oil?
2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

For your first refill just buy what the FSM says to use in regular 80W90 GL5...drain all 3 holes...leaving the rear one loose by 7-8 turns until it's filled then snug it up.....fill with 4.1 qts from the front fill hole by the axle...you CAN use the plastic bottles...but cut some of the tip off so it will flow better. Don't leave any plastic in the hole and keep your fingers out of there. Find a six-point socket that will fit and grind most of the bevel off of the end so it catches more of the plug's hex...the hex part is very shallow...can round them off...then you are SOL.

Krunk
Advanced Member

Post by Krunk »

To Barto: Someone mentioned using a mix of the two and part synthetic, I purchased these but then decided against it and will be filling tranny the way FSM says to.

Takza: thanks for setting it all straight.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Yeah - Thanks for setting it all straight - what's a "chamfer" - or a link, for that matter?
BTW - take a pix of filling the rear hole from a squeezy quart bottle...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain