Front Axle-Shaft

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Deaner

Front Axle-Shaft

Post by Deaner »

Hiya - I'm a newbie. I've been looking for a T4WD for the past few months, and I've found a good price for one in the East Mountains of New Mexico. The only catch is it needs a front axle-shaft. That seems like a pretty straight-forward job, but I wanted to ask for opinions before I commit. Those of you who've done this - are there any tricks I need to know? Will I need any special tools?

Thanks.
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Re: Front Axle-Shaft

Post by Highlander »

First, check the FSM to get an idea what needs to happen, you'll need a 30mm socket and a torque wrench capable of >130 ft lbs (you can sometimes rent these from checkers, etc). You don't have to remove the strut, you can swing it out of the way and get the axle out, just watch the boot when you swing it back in. I use a brake spoon to pop the axle out of the trans, and then a mini prybar and a hammer to set it back in. I usually crack the axle nut before I lift the car (I'm pretty light) :lol: by standing on the torque wrench (set to its maximum of course) . Oh, and make sure that you hang the caliper up by something, don't let it hang by the line- I usually use some 4ga scrap copper wire to hang it off the spring myself, another reason not to remove the strut. Good Luck!
EDIT-I just remembered- you'll need a large prybar to deflect the swaybar down in order to get the hub back onto the balljoint. I tend to sit on the prybar so that I can use both of my hands :P
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club!
There are many threads here on replacing the axles. This is not hard - honest!
I would recommend using a breaker bar to pop the axle nut loose both because using a torque wrench for this can be hazardous if the wrench breaks the clicking mechanism (bad wording...) and that, in the case of a rental - "If you break it you bought it." Sometimes AutoZone, et al, will check the wrench upon return. I've rented the BIG torque wrench several times and this is exactly why I check it before leaving the store.
Additionally - make sure you get cotter pins, which are usually not supplied with the axles. Sometimes new nuts are supplied and sometimes not. Also look into getting new axle seals for the transmission (there are threads on replacing these as well as making sure you get the correct seals).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Sometimes you can drive it with bad CV joints for quite awhile, they just are noisy and vibrate. I would consider driving it home if at all drivable, and fixing it at home. That way if you need to get anything else you will not be stranded. At worst you can put it in 4wd and unload the front axle for the drive back (works okay for straight hwy driving).

You do not even have to remove the brake caliper, just remove the two 12mm bolts holding on the ball joint and swing it out of the way, you can get enough movement in the strut to just clear the splin shaft from the hub.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Deaner

Post by Deaner »

Thanks, everybody. I'm ready to buy, but now I'm having trouble getting the seller to get back to me. The search continues.
If anyone knows of one in New Mexico or Colorado for around $1000, let me know.

By the way - have y'all seen this one: http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/1845035870.html?
It looks wonderful, but it's out of my price range.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The two best places to find them are Craig's list, you might use "crazedlist" to do multiple Craig's list searches, here:

http://crazedlist.org/

Many good buys are worth traveling a ways to get.

The other is to keep your eyes open for them as you drive around, and stop, or leave notes on ones you see in your area. They are so old that many are considering selling them, especially if they need some repair they do not want to pay for (but well worth it if you like the Tercel4wd). I have also found them in side yards, back yards and left a note, or located the owner through the registration. Often you can get them real cheap, especially if they need repair. I have bought 5 of them in the last 6 years, most I have paid was $200 (for a running one), all have needed some kind of repair, all but one was worth fixing (the one I bought for parts, it was a running rust-bucket for $100). I have even seen them for free (did not get it fast enough).

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)