Leaking trsnsmission (still)

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Trev
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83 Tercel wagon:)

Leaking trsnsmission (still)

Post by Trev »

My transmission is STILL leaking after replacing the CV axle output seal. It drips down from where the cv is. It might look like its coming from above that, but i'm not sure. I've cleaned the trans off several times and I can't locate the leak. Its VERY frustrating leaving an oil spot where ever I go. And to me, makes me hate this Tercel. All because of a leak. I don't even want to change the engine oil. I know, it sounds stupid...but oh well.

Anyway, can anyone give me some advice what to do? Is the input seal leaking? I can take pics...if it helps. I might just end up pulling the transmission. I prefer not too, but if I have to I will.
1999 Dodge Cummins 3500
1983 Toyota Tercel 4wd Wagon
GF's - 1986 Toyota Tercel 2wd Wagon
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Leaking transmission (still)

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Trev -
Don't take this the wrong way, but - did you use the seal with the lip as I mentioned in the thread you started back in April?
Read https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=seal .
It must be inserted [i]exactly [/i]the correct amount and squarely, per the FSM. I had this problem the first time I did this. I had to make a "tool" from a piece of internally ground-out-a-tad galvanized pipe.
And - are you certain that the leak is coming from the [i]seal[/i] (dripping at the bottom of the seal)? Did you clean all around the axle hole on the differential?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Trev
Advanced Member

Re: Leaking trsnsmission (still)

Post by Trev »

I have no idea what you mean by the seal with the "lip". All I did was remove the old one (in many pieces) cleaned the surface, and slid the new one in and pushed it as far back as it would go until it hit the retaining piece of metal. I've cleaned around the area many times, it looks like their is some oil directly above the cv, around the bottom of the cv and back, and its dripping directly below and to the furthest point forward (right underneath the front cover).

I would gladly clean everything and take pics if necessary.

Thanks, Trevor
1999 Dodge Cummins 3500
Trev
Advanced Member

Post by Trev »

BTW - I checked my order, and the seal is the same part number as the one you said is correct. I will verify it has the lip too. As I cannot recall seeing it.
1999 Dodge Cummins 3500
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

BA%200523521-1.jpg
Trev - Here is the Beck-Arnley seal, # 052-3521.
Some parts places have an illustration of the seal to be one without the "lip."

And I learned something as well - I can download (word ?) something from my 'puter directly to the site without having to go through PhotoBucket! Cool! Will wonders never cease in this electronic world?
Tom M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

First one I put in was cocked to one side and it leaked. It's pretty awkward to see how it is aligned due to the angle that you are looking at it from? (don't criticize the grammar)

Hope you didn't scratch the bore that it fits in too much....might use some non-hardening sealer around the next one?

You can also get some engine oil leaks that will drip off the diff...but if you wipe around the seal and it shows up BELOW it and it smells like onions...it's gear oil.

That's the life of the shadetree mechanic....it can get depressing if a job doesn't go right. That is why I take my time...make no assumptions about how soon the job will be done or how easy it is...just try to do it right the first time (watch the details) so I don't get to do it all over again.

On the positive side...now that you almost know what you are doing...the next attempt ought to go much better? :mrgreen:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

maybe the spring in the seal popped out
it usually happens when pushing the axle in
no way to check it with out pulling axle
if it came out you should be able to see it in the hole
not sure if you can just put it back in while seal is in place
i have always used a new seal
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Trev
Advanced Member

Post by Trev »

Looks like my dad threw away the seal...awesome :oops:

If the cv leaks, does it drip straight down, or does it drip to the lowest point on the trans and then drip to the ground?

I might end up buying a couple more seals and see if I can get it to stop leaking
1999 Dodge Cummins 3500
Trev
Advanced Member

Post by Trev »

And yes, it smells nasty! I can stand the smell of engine oil, but can't stand the smell of tranny/diff gear oil. Now that I think about it, maybe the engine leaks too. I should check the oil level. I could take off the top bolt on the front of the trans (fill plug) and see if its full. If it is then obviously it doesn't leak. I'm not 1,000,000% sure it is in fact gear oil leaking. I have been known to do stupid things before :lol:
1999 Dodge Cummins 3500
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Trev wrote:If the cv leaks, does it drip straight down, or does it drip to the lowest point on the trans and then drip to the ground?
See second photo:
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=axle
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Trev
Advanced Member

Post by Trev »

Mine drips from the lowest point on the transmission below the CV's. It VERY hard to tell where its coming from. My guess is the input shaft. But I have no clue.
1999 Dodge Cummins 3500
Trev
Advanced Member

Post by Trev »

Here is what it looks like. Opinions?
1999 Dodge Cummins 3500
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

the fluid looks too thin to be engine oil, and your driver side CV looks pretty wet. did you check the fill plug on the trans like you mentioned? i think you should top it up and check again in a few days and see if the level has gone down.
Trev
Advanced Member

Post by Trev »

I think either my engine is leaking or my trans. My engine seems to have lost a half quart within last 3 months (needs an oil change badly!!!). I am throwing thicker viscosity oil in the engine and see if the leak stops. I will still check the trans level.
1999 Dodge Cummins 3500
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Might be the diff cover that is loose? If you would take some Kerosene or ?? and an old rag and clean up the gunk UP around 6" all around from the lowest point...you might be able to see where it is coming from?

Remember...the air flow tends to make the oil flow to the rear some.

When I've had an axle seal leak...you could see some oil right at the seal...not a drip...but "wet" below the seal.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...