Clutchless Shifting

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Does anyone know how to or have shifted without the clutch by knowing the shift points and matching the RPM's with the correct speed? I'm just curious about this because bus drivers don't use their clutch when driving Crown Supercoaches.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I don't shift without the clutch, but I do double clutch and heel-toe both my AE86 and AL25 all the time. :) Heel-toe is generally only done in racing and takes lots of skill, but I find it is fun even in daily driving in my AL25.

To shift with out the clutch is similar though; here is how I think it can be done:

To shift down:
- Position your throttle such that the engine is not exerting any force on the drive train (either speeding up or slowing it down). Pop the transmission out of gear; you should not have to force it, it should go easy.
- Once in neutral tap the throttle to rev the engine up just above the rpm that it will be in once shifting into your lower gear.
- As the rpms fall, gently pull the gear into the lower gear. Again, it should slide into the gear as the rpm falls to the perfect point.

To shift up:
- Position your throttle as above and slide the gear out into neutral
- As your rpms fall, slide the gear into the higher gear. Again, you should not have to force it.

- this is all easier said then done though. It's also easier with a slower reving large engine then with the 1.5l 3AC.

- Let me know if you want to know how to double-clutch/heel-toe your tercel too! I'd write it now, but don't have time.

Good luck!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Yeah I also don't have time! I also think it would be easier to do it on a diesel engine that goes back to idle slowly such as a Detroit 671 or a Cummins 220. When you have time I would liketo hear about how to double-clutch/heel-toe the tercel. I still think that I need to know the right shift points with the Z52F tranny in order to do this right otherwise you could end up with some serious gear chipping and clashing.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

tercel4wdrules wrote:Yeah I also don't have time! I also think it would be easier to do it on a diesel engine that goes back to idle slowly such as a Detroit 671 or a Cummins 220. When you have time I would liketo hear about how to double-clutch/heel-toe the tercel. I still think that I need to know the right shift points with the Z52F tranny in order to do this right otherwise you could end up with some serious gear chipping and clashing.
It's about like learning to ride a bicycle...once you learn you usually don't forget it. You have to try it and practice it some.

Can come in handy if your clutch goes out and you need to get home...start the car in first gear and shift without the clutch from there.

Don't tell anyone I recommended it though. ;)

The best way to get a transmission to last is to shift in a reasonably relaxed way...this gives the synchros time to work...and you also need to fully depress the clutch pedal. I keep having to remind myself about this...easy to get lazy.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I say, the clutch is actually your friend. Double clutching is great though, it's hard at first but easy when you get used to it. I double clutch by force of habit now, and it feels strange when I drive a newer car with good synchros. Especially front wheel drives - there's a total lack of feedback in the gearshift linkage. And it just goes into gear no matter what. I'm used to feeling the synchros and knowing what they're up to at all times.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

How do you double clutch and heel/toe shift? Better yet what is the correct way to double clutch, and why would you double clutch?