Stuck in 1st gear

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
artictercel
My tercel:: 85 SR5 Wagon

Stuck in 1st gear

Post by artictercel »

I just picked up a 87 SR5. The tranny is stuck in 1st gear. The clutch works as you can disengage the driveline once the clutch is in, but when you try to move the transmission into another gear its like there is nothing connected to the other end of the gear shift. Any ideas before I start. I am mainly thinking about using the 87 as a parts car and fixing up my 84 since its body is in better shape. And the interior of the 87 is in great shape so will be getting new seats in the old car. But If I could figure out the tranny the 87 is in drivable condition right now.

Thanks in advance.
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Re: Stuck in 1st gear

Post by Highlander »

I'd pull the shift console and the 4 bolts holding the shifter in place and look from there after removing the snap ring that holds the shifter in place. The cheapest problem would be if the shifter isn't engaging the shift forks (in other words, the end of the shifter isn't doing its thing). More expensive proposition would be if the 1-2 shift fork was loose on the shift rod- I don't think you can access that from the top though.- Anyway, good luck :D
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
artictercel

Post by artictercel »

That's what I was thinking. Ill take it apart tonight and see what I can see. Thanks.

Well if its the latter its not the first time Ive pulled at t4wd tranny.... Probably won't be the last. :)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

It is possible the plastic parts on the end of the shift lever wore enough to disengage the lever from the mechanism. Otherwise it is more likely the shift forks wore through and gave up. I had trashed a whole tranny when mine was stuck in 2nd. I just replaced it. It would be a shame to part out a good car for lack of a good tranny, but it is is rough and rusty, it might be worth more in parts.

If you do part it out, I need the driver side head light jug (the composite head light type) if yours is good.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
artictercel

Post by artictercel »

It was my full intention to use the 87 as a parts car since its body has been abused. I am the 84's second owner so there is a little more known about it. But the 84 also has no carb on it right now... I guess I could swap the carb... But I think I would rather go with a weber. I would like to fix the tranny for a spare for down the road maybe. Ill check on the light jug and see if its any good. If I part if out Ill let you know.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

The carb in the 87 I think has slight different emission control equipment than the 84, is should swap okay just make sure you bring all the emission control stuff over too or it may not run correctly. Also, you can not just swap out the tranny from the '87 into the 84, you also have to swap out the rear differential third member. The '84 has a 3.73:1 ratio and the '87 has a 4.1:1, the '85 and newer had the lower rear end ratio, and the front and rear diff has to match. It is not problem to switch out the diff assmebly with the 3rd member carrier (you just have to pull the axle shafts out and unbolt the 10 or 12 12mm bolts off the diff.) The '87 tyranny also has slightly different gear ratios in the lower gears, both the diff and tranny changes are much needed, it is surprising how much better the higher gearing is for this little underpowered engines. I have an '84 and an '85, and the '85 is much easier to drive, better on hills, better in reverse, etc. It is worth the swap over, I plan to switch my '84 over to a newer trans and diff next time I have it apart, they parts area already sitting in my garage waiting for the day I have a reason to remove the trans.
artictercel

Post by artictercel »

You are right. The 87 and the 84 do not have the same gear ratios. I need to look at the carbs a little closer to see if they will swap. I plan on putting a weber 32 36 on the 84. It is going to be my main driver. It has a strait body and a factory sun roof so it will be the car. Upgrading the drivetrain will definitly be on the list. Ill get some pictures up this weekend if its not too darn cold outside.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

borrowed this from Shannon

"I have been immersed in this ratio issue for 2 months.
The 3.7 ratio is from 8/82 - 8/84. So, if you are in a junkyard check
the metal tag inside the drivers side door (on the body, not the door).
It will have the month and year of production. After 8/84 they are 4.1."
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
artictercel

Post by artictercel »

Good to know. Ill check my years tonight!
artictercel

Post by artictercel »

Good news... and stupid me for not looking sooner.

My "84" is actually an 85. Born on date is 11/85... and my "87" is 87 with a born on date of 9/86. So I think all the parts should interchange just fine. It funny both the tittles are wrong for each car. Now if I could just get some decent weather. Working in sub zero temps tests my Alaskan Resolve. I have a Weber 32/36 on order and hopefully will make the swap soon.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Not to nitpick, but your 85 with a born on date of 11/85 is actually an 86. So good for you - you paid for an 84 but got an 86! Christmas in January.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
artictercel

Post by artictercel »

Actually it was free... so even better.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Free is good, it a price I can usually afford.

So do you have a good driver's side head light housing you want to sell off the '87? PM me please if you do.
artictercel

Post by artictercel »

Before I see any parts I want to take stock with both of them side by side and see what I need first. Its cold and dark most of the time up here so its going to be a while. As soon as I see exactly what I have and I don't need it I be happy to let some stuff go. Ill keep you informed.