Weber DG32/36 Questions

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
noface
My tercel:: 1985 4wd SR5

Weber DG32/36 Questions

Post by noface »

I know... yet another one...

I got a used carb from our favorite online auction site. Turned out to be a nice piece.

Installed it on the car (85 4wd SR5 wagon/5-speed) and it runs good. WAAAAAAY better than the worn out Aisian thingy.

No more stumbling, no more hesitation, no more erratic idle. Just more better.

Gas mileage is not what I'd like to see. It's getting about 22-24MPG, still better than the leaky OEM, but I know it can do better.

I've not torn into one of these Weber's. I'm an old SBC kinda guy, so I know my way around Quadrajets and Holley's.

Anyone got an idea what size jets these come with? I know it will be a mystery until I actually pull the thing apart to see, but I can't afford any downtime on this beast since my boy drives it daily 25 miles to school and back.

I want to set this up for the best economy. I could care less about getting the most HP... though my boy might disagree.

Also, my carb has what appears to be the "Idle cut-off solenoid". What is this exactly and how does it fit with the various fuel circuits? Why would you want to "cut off" the idle circuit? I did notice that applying a 12v signal seemed to increase the rpm when it was on fast idle/full choke, but with the choke disengaged, idle rpm dropped when applying 12v.

Also, my carb was an AV carb (water choke). I was able to take an old 4160 Holley electric choke cap assembly I had lying in the corner and robbed the electrical choke. With some slight redneck engineering (read that some time with a pencil grinder), I was able to get this to work on the Weber, at least until I can find a correct part. Works like a champ.

What are the best economy jet sizes or combos that ya'll have found to be optimum? Care to share? I need a good place to start...

Thanks for any insight!

JS in TN
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Weber DG32/36 Questions

Post by teranfirbt »

I'd look into getting a heated O2 sensor and air fuel ratio gauge to start tuning jets. If you know anyone with an assortment it can make things easier. You want to tune cruise just on the side of lean, and full throttle needs to be just on the rich side. There isn't a magical single jet size for any car, so it'll take some fiddling to get things perfect.