Where is the temp sender for the gauge?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

I just replaced my engine belts and waterpump on my 84 with a 3A-C, and it runs and drives fine, but the gauge doesn't work anymore....but it gets warm exactly as it did before and if I let it idle for like 30 minutes the fan will turn on for just a bit....so all is exactly as it was, except I must have done something to the wire or the sender for the gauge in the dash.

Now, I DID unplug a sender while removing/installing the waterpump, cuz it was in the way...and when I found that the gauge didn't work I wiggled that wire around and stuff, but no go. Anybody point me to the one?
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

The temperature sender for the gauge is mounted on the front of the 3A engine, on the holder used to bolt the thermostat to the block.

If you look at the top hose coming out of the block going to the radiator, then look along the front of the engine at the same level as that hose towards the timing belt cover, you should see what looks like a bolt with an electrical connection coming off it. You would have had to remove that connection when you replaced the pump, that's true.

To test the gauge, take that electrical connection off and short it to the block. If the gauge goes to the top, then it's the sender that's at fault. If not, then there's a dodgy connection somewhere between the sender and the gauge. Most likely, it's the connection between the sender and that wire.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I had the same problem and it turned out the sensor was fine, the gauge was fine and the wire was also fine. It was the terminal on the end of the wire that connects to the sensor - it had corroded and lost its connection.
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

So I DID have the right sender! I figured that had to be the one, since that's the only one I touched. I was thinking along the same corrosion lines, so I slid the thing off and on a few times, to no avail....perhaps the place where it was crimped onto the wire has gone. I will check it tomorrow and if that is the case, easy enough to solder a new connector on there. thanks guys
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The crimp is what I was talking about. I had to solder it.