hesitation when turning

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

hesitation when turning

Post by dlb »

hey guys, i've found my terc has been losing power when i gear down and come through a corner - in detail: i will brake before the corner, gear down to 2nd or 3rd, let the clutch out, and give it some gas as i come through the corner, but it's as if i'm not giving it any gas at all. since it's in gear, the engine brakes the car for a second before everything kicks back in and goes back to normal. it predominantly happens when i turn right, and sometimes when i turn left. i had this same problem with an '89 tercel coupe years ago but never looked into it because it's not a huge deal, just annoying. anyone have any similar experiences, or ideas?

thanks!
david
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Re: hesitation when turning

Post by Highlander »

check your float level in the carby- there's a little window that you can see the fuel through from the front of the engine compartment- you'll need a flashlight and a rag to wipe the gunk off with- it should be in the middle of the window.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

my fiancee has the car right now but i'll take a look as soon as i can! if the carb is not in the center, how do i adjust it?

thanks!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The window in in front of the carb is hard to see. Mine is a little below center and I have no problems cornering...this is actually an mpg trick to improve mileage with a carb. Could be the valve or float are not right...might be a slight vac leak?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

scouttster
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel Hatchback

Post by scouttster »

See FSM to adjust float level.
If you take the carb off ( very easy to do - its 4 nuts ) take some digital pictures with the air cleaner off so you know where the vacuum hoses go. Taking the top off the carb is easy too. Just becareful not to damage the gaskets whereas you can re-use them if they are in OK shape.. Have a spray can of carb cleaner on hand whereas the bowl probably has sludge in it.. If the gasket tears on you - you can use liquid gasket to sort of mend it here and there ( if you dont want to buy the gasket kit )
Terkey Hatchback
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

far out, i'll take a look today and let y'all know how it goes. thanks!