Dash lights

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Logbear
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 86 Toyota Tercel 4WD StaWag

Post by Logbear »

The dash light on the right side (lights up the fuel gauge, and the "over 50" side of the speedometer) just went out. The left side still works. I thumped on the dash a few times but that didn't work. How do I get to the dash light under the dash? Can I reach it from underneath without having to take too much apart? How could the dash light going out be related to my replacing the left front axle today? It felt so good finishing up the axle job and then when I go for a test drive the dash light is out!
"86" Tercel 4wd Daily vehicle
"87" Tercel 4wd Son's car
"87" Tercel 4wd Auto- Spare car
"83" Tercel 4wd Extra spare car
3- "83" Tercel 4wd parts cars
1- "85" Tercel 4wd parts car
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I want to replace the standard dash lights with something more "colorful", so the other night I was trying to figure out how to get them out . I didnt' have a lot of time, so I never discovered how to do it . Hope to get out there in the daylight when the temperature gets back above freezing to explore some possibilities.

I couldn't find anything in the repair manual about it , either.

MJ
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The light bulbs plug in to the back of the instrument panel. There are little plastic holders that turn and come out. The manual should show you how to get the instrument panel out. The trick is reaching behind to disconnect the speedometer cable. It's not hard if you know what to do - basically feel for that tab around the end of the speedometer cable and push it in. Other than that there's 4 screws and 4 connectors on the plastic hood that covers the gauges, and on the panel itself, 4 screws and 2 connectors. You don't have to take the steering wheel off but it may be easier, depending on how long your Philips #2 screwdriver is.