Front engine oil leak

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Front engine oil leak

Post by sdoan »

The sunroof car has a nasty oil leak low at the front of the engine (picture bright clean aluminum flange on the oil pump covered with golden oil) . It is probably the front crank seal, but the engine only has 120,000 miles on it and seems to be in otherwise excellent condition for its age. Of the 5 a-series engines I've dealt with this is the first with a bad oil leak at the front - so I've never had reason to suspect a front seal before. Other possibilities are the gasket between the block and oil pump, and the front cam seal.

My question - is front crank seal failure common?
Second question - do you recommend getting the seal from Toyota rather than the after market? (I've had bad experience with cheap aftermarket gaskets)
Finally, any tricks to installing the seal with the oil pump still on the engine and the nose of the crank in the way?

Thanks
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Re: Front engine oil leak

Post by garyfish »

The crankshaft seal (front main seal) I got from Rock Auto & installed in April hasn't leaked a drop.

Beck/Arnley Part # 0523179, about $3.50 (+ s/h) at RA & a couple dollars more at O'Reilly/Kragen.
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i wonder if mileage matters
time may have something to do with it
those seals loose their flexability

just replaced one that only had abt 60,000 moles on it (was replaced about 5 years ago) and it was already stiff and leaking.
might have been a cheapy (who knows)
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

I just did this a little while ago, the only trick that I needed was a small screwdriver slipped under the lip of the seal to pry the seal out, and a LARGE diameter punch to reinstall. I've put in loads of seals with the punch method, the biggest trick to it is to take your time and keep walking around the edge until the punch stops on the raised edge surrounding the seal radius. :wink: While you're there, take a look and see if you have a coolant leak from the suction housing- you're three bolts away from replacing it- if its leaking, you'll have coolant showing up in the small recess behind and below the water pump-its a $2 oring and well worth the time if its bad (JMHO) :D .
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

Thank you everyone for the info. Will attack it soon.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

I had an oil leak in the front of my motor, turned out to be the gasket between oil pump and block. A few hours and a little swearing at the oil pan and it was all fixed. I'd replace the front main seal if you're gonna have the oil pump out, they're cheap enough.
IHblarp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: '83 SR5, JDM 3A-SCV motor swap

Post by IHblarp »

I seem to have an oil leak at the front of my motor too, cant figure out where its coming from but I'm ending up with oil on my sway bar????? it is alost directly below the pully on the crank shaft but i don't find any oil on the pulley. When you guys had leaks from the front main seal were you getting oil on the sway bar?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that sounds about right. The cam seal can also go and drip down the front of the engine (under the front cover) and come at the same place. Either way you have to pull the front cover. If you got oil all over the timing belt it is best to replace that too, oil could weaken it over time.

There is one other place it could leak, the oil pressure sender is right behind the alternator. I have had them leak, it runs down the side of the block and drips off the edge of the pan. IT will run back along the pan and make it looking like the pan gasket is leaking.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

The Toyota Factory Front and Rear Main Seals should be replaced every 120K or during major service intervals. ie.. oil pump, clutch Ref. Toyota A series Engine FSM

I know they should last at least 150k and sometimes 300k.
With a ring lipped seal it only takes a microscopic piece of debris to cause failure under a high pressure load. Think how much sand there is on the road in winter.
I've blew out a front main during a Seafoam oil treatment on a motor that had close to 240k.

I say go with a Toyota part if you plan on keeping the motor.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Along with the oil pump gasket, I found that the main seal I had was old and kinda stiff and was leaking from the outside, so it was just dripping instead of spraying oil everywhere like a typical front main problem.